Cincoze GM-1000 - A Rugged, GPU-Focused, Fan-Less Industrial Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Sorry but in the x86 based embedded industry, Windows is actually surprisingly popular and no one cares for a blob driver less Linux.
    linux dominates every segment except desktop and to not care about blobs you have to be not very smart

Comment

Darek here from OnLogic. Since price was asked about, we're a US distributor for Cincoze products (in addition to building our own rugged computers), and we carry the GM-1000. Configuration options and pricing are available at https://www.onlogic.com/gm-1000/.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        In before all the comments complaining about how it's Intel+Nvidia, as though this is supposed to be used as an everyday desktop PC.
        That's like saying we put in Sandy Bridge instead of Comet Lake because it's an everyday PC. I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by LogicDarek View Post
          Darek here from OnLogic. Since price was asked about, we're a US distributor for Cincoze products (in addition to building our own rugged computers), and we carry the GM-1000. Configuration options and pricing are available at https://www.onlogic.com/gm-1000/.
          Thanks. That is way more than I was hoping it would be, but about what I expected it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            That's like saying we put in Sandy Bridge instead of Comet Lake because it's an everyday PC. I don't get it.
            I don't get the point you're trying to make...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              linux dominates every segment except desktop and to not care about blobs you have to be not very smart
              I literally work at one of the biggest embedded systems producer in the world, I see that customers are using and as much as I want them to use Linux and care about a blob less Linux, it is simply not the reality that Linux dominates in this space.
              I would guess the Linux Market Share in embedded x86 based systems at about 40-60%, not more, not less.

Comment

I don't get the point you're trying to make...
                I'm not trying to pick a fight. I am genunely curious what the point is that you are trying to make. I'm guessing that this is an appication specific device and that every day performance or power metrics does not apply or is not as important in this segment?

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  I'm not trying to pick a fight. I am genunely curious what the point is that you are trying to make. I'm guessing that this is an appication specific device and that every day performance or power metrics does not apply or is not as important in this segment?
                  My point is that people here tend to complain about Intel (because it's Intel and they're basically the punching bag of tech enthusiasts these days) and Nvidia (because of closed-source drivers). So, my comment was to point out that I'm aware of these sorts of comments before they come up.
                  torsionbar28 seemed to get the point I was trying to make.

Comment

My point is that people here tend to complain about Intel (because it's Intel and they're basically the punching bag of tech enthusiasts these days) and Nvidia (because of closed-source drivers).
                    TL;DR Complaining because it does not work for your specific use case when you are not the target = bad. Complaining because it's bad for the intended market = ok.

This is true, I bash Intel CPUs and Nvidia all the time. Manytimes it's useless rants, but sometimes I feel like there's a valid reason behind it.

My view: No matter if you have a PZL-104 Wilga, Cessna 172, Boeing 747 or a Antonov An-225 the fuel effiency and power output are important for each of those planes. Why would you produce a plane that flies 500 nautical miles when you can produce a plane that flies 800 nautical miles under the same conditions within the same budget? Similarly performance/Watt is important for all computers big or small.

I am able to make the observation that this device is marketed as "Machine Vision Embedded Computer" which explains why Nvidia is used. IMO Intel is still a bad choice because you're paying more for less performance with a higher TDP. The reason for picking Intel could be something as simple as the 3rd party motherboard designers (that has good reputation) only produce Intel motherboards, which is a totally valid if that was the case. Taking it on yourself to move the industry away from CUDA or designing a motherboard isn't an easy job. If a small company that sells niche hardware tries either of those two things it will very likely be bankrupt before achieving much. If the device was marketed as a small home server or modular CPU&GPU compute cluster then I would complain due to the missed opportunity.

So, my comment was to point out that I'm aware of these sorts of comments before they come up.
                    torsionbar28 seemed to get the point I was trying to make.
                    I wonder if this could cause a positve feedback loop.

Comment

Working...
                    X