No announcement yet.

Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Sequential writes" achieving almost twice the speed of "sequential reads" in this test tells me the writes went only into some SLC or DRAM cache, but not into the relatively slow TLC Flash.
    For SSDs, I consider all tests not including a full write to the entire storage space incomplete.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Crucial P2 is labelled as a Corsair product in the graphs..?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Although I didn't see a price rundown I would imagine the Sabrent is the best bang for the buck by far as well as taking the geometric mean crown. Well done Sabrent!
        sabrent and all others current "pcie4" ssd except samsung are made on same chinese factory with same chinese controller and same flash memory, just with different labels. and that chinese controller is pcie3 ssd controller with bolted on pcie4 bus support, it can't saturate pcie4, so all those "pcie4" ssds have same 4/5gb/s specs. they can have different levels of cheating firmware though.
        i'm waiting for real pcie4 ssd to put between optane and hdds and these benchmark results aren't encouraging

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
          How does it manage to be worse at SQL than its own last gen?
          last gen was mlc, this one is tlc. why do you think it's cheaper than last gen?(if we are talking about pro)

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
            Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.
            modern tlc ssds put some free space into slc mode cache and they work at advertized speeds only in that slc cache. if you exceed it, 980 has maximum linear write speed 2gb/s instead of 5

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              modern tlc ssds put some free space into slc mode cache and they work at advertized speeds only in that slc cache. if you exceed it, 980 has maximum linear write speed 2gb/s instead of 5
              Precisely, but it does not matter one bit which "lba range" you use. As long as you write less data at once than the capacity of SLC cache, it will end up in the SLC cache.

Comment

Just wandering why you didn't put results for the firecuda in for direct comparison?

Comment

Anyone here aware of any benchmarks comparing pcie4 and pice3 ssd drives on pcie3 motherboards? I want a new SSD before I upgrade my motherboard/CPU combo and am wondering if future-proofing is a good idea or if I should just stick with a pcie3 drive and possibly buy a pcie4 drive later -- or even just keep the pcie3 drive.

Comment

Originally posted by cthart View Post
                    Anyone here aware of any benchmarks comparing pcie4 and pice3 ssd drives on pcie3 motherboards? I want a new SSD before I upgrade my motherboard/CPU combo and am wondering if future-proofing is a good idea or if I should just stick with a pcie3 drive and possibly buy a pcie4 drive later -- or even just keep the pcie3 drive.
                    If you have a PCIe 3 board get a PCIe 3 NVMe unless you plan on upgrading soon. The sad truth is that NVMe storage keeps getting crappier and crappier as they try to squeeze more bits out of basically the same hardware. There is a premium for PCIe 4 cards that can be a little difficult to justify with the current cards.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Maybe you should try to read the datasheet fine print...
                      when you exceed the io window of the intelligent cache you will run in their 2nd listed performance mode.
                      That is absolutely correct, but again this has no relation to the "LBA range" whatsoever. You can write to any LBAs you like and your writes will hit the SLC cache if it is not overwhelmed.

Comment

Working...
                      X