X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbdougla
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.
    The Sabrent, at least, also has TLC. I guess this is just the norm these days though it make me nervous.

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    Originally posted by intelfx View Post

I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the market at large just moves to QLC for their mainstream products. I was hopping QLC would be a budget alternative to TLC drives, but something tells me that won't be the case.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.
    Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• intelfx
    replied
    Originally posted by peterdk View Post
    It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.

Leave a comment:

• peterdk
    replied
    It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
    That would be the first thing to look at but these tests are more or less consistent with a couple of other benchmarks I have seen under windows. Maybe Samsung is being super conservative coming out of the gate across the board. Or maybe these are just designed for a specific use case.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    How does it manage to be worse at SQL than its own last gen?
    Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    For me this can't be possible. Everything points to 980 pro must be better then 970 evo in every point
    Just a note: 250 GB SSDs can be much slower than 500+ GB SSDs. The article is using a wide range of capacities: 250, 500, 1000 and 2000 GB.

Leave a comment:

• zboszor
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
    To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.
    You don't say you need to introduce short stroking for SSDs? That was a thing for HDDs only, I thought. :-O

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

The Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe solid-state drives are now available from Internet retailers. For those wondering how these SSDs compare with EXT4 under Linux against other PCIe 4.0/3.0 drives, here are a variety of benchmarks.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29651
    I am not sure whether this review can be trusted. There is a very unusual variation in the measured numbers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X