Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

    Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
    That would be the first thing to look at but these tests are more or less consistent with a couple of other benchmarks I have seen under windows. Maybe Samsung is being super conservative coming out of the gate across the board. Or maybe these are just designed for a specific use case.

    Comment


    • #12
      It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by peterdk View Post
        It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.
        I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
          To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.
          Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by intelfx View Post

            I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.
            I wouldn't be surprised if the market at large just moves to QLC for their mainstream products. I was hopping QLC would be a budget alternative to TLC drives, but something tells me that won't be the case.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by intelfx View Post

              I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.
              The Sabrent, at least, also has TLC. I guess this is just the norm these days though it make me nervous.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
                Typo:

                Sabrenet Rocket 4.0 1TB

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by intelfx View Post

                  Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.
                  Maybe you should try to read the datasheet fine print...
                  when you exceed the io window of the intelligent cache you will run in their 2nd listed performance mode.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    This benchmark sucks. I know that "980 PRO" are TLC, but still are called PRO costs like PRO, so should be tested against 960 PRO and 970 PRO, not EVO versions.

                    I'm glad I bought in the past many 2TB 960 PRO drives for a good price ^^

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                      This benchmark sucks. I know that "980 PRO" are TLC, but still are called PRO costs like PRO, so should be tested against 960 PRO and 970 PRO, not EVO versions.

                      I'm glad I bought in the past many 2TB 960 PRO drives for a good price ^^
                      All a matter of the drives I have available for testing with generally stuck buying them for testing.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X