Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
    It's worth to note that the 980 PRO is TLC instead of 970 PRO's MLC. Not tested here, but it's worth to know when considering upgrading from it.
    I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
      To get the max performance on these drives of "up to" 1 million iops read/write, you need to use a small lba range on the drive to stay within the limits of the intelligent cache.
      Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

I have no idea why Samsung decided to put TLC in their "PRO" lineup, destroying the whole idea. I guess EVO will get QLC then? What a shitshow.
        I wouldn't be surprised if the market at large just moves to QLC for their mainstream products. I was hopping QLC would be a budget alternative to TLC drives, but something tells me that won't be the case.

Comment

The Sabrent, at least, also has TLC. I guess this is just the norm these days though it make me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Guessing there are some firmware woes with the 980 PRO under Linux but haven't yet seen anything to confirm that.
            Typo:

Sabrenet Rocket 4.0 1TB

Comment

Bullshit. Modern SSDs don't work that way. LBAs are not related to internal geometry or allocation patterns whatsoever.
              Maybe you should try to read the datasheet fine print...
              when you exceed the io window of the intelligent cache you will run in their 2nd listed performance mode.

Comment

This benchmark sucks. I know that "980 PRO" are TLC, but still are called PRO costs like PRO, so should be tested against 960 PRO and 970 PRO, not EVO versions.

I'm glad I bought in the past many 2TB 960 PRO drives for a good price ^^

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
                  This benchmark sucks. I know that "980 PRO" are TLC, but still are called PRO costs like PRO, so should be tested against 960 PRO and 970 PRO, not EVO versions.

I'm glad I bought in the past many 2TB 960 PRO drives for a good price ^^
                  All a matter of the drives I have available for testing with generally stuck buying them for testing.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

All a matter of the drives I have available for testing with generally stuck buying them for testing.
                    hmmm....OK.
                    I was sure you bought previous generations for testing (960 Pro and 970 Pro), but it seems it's not the case.
                    My first idea was that you thought they re too old to be relevant in testing, or you were too lazy to search for them in your equipment ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

hmmm....OK.
                      I was sure you bought previous generations for testing (960 Pro and 970 Pro), but it seems it's not the case.
                      My first idea was that you thought they re too old to be relevant in testing, or you were too lazy to search for them in your equipment ;-)
                      I did have a 960 PRO that failed one me but afaik don't have any other one around. I do have a 970 PRO or two but are racked up in other systems in use, i.e. without getting review samples often my SSD supplies are very limited / being utilized elsewhere.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X