Linux 5.10 To Play Nicely With The Matias Wireless Aluminum Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Not sure why anyone would want to clone the Apple keyboard. Apple keyboards suck. Pure form over function. The chicklet keys, the mushy feel, the too-short key travel. No thanks. For the same price, I'll stick with a real keyboard with Cherry MX mechanical switches. This Matias Wireless keyboard is targeting the vanity crowd who obsesses over how "thin" their computer and peripherals are.
    You lucky, I have been fooled with so-called Razer switches... (and finding Cherry is not easy here)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The standard keyboard functionality has worked with Linux but with the addition for Linux 5.10 to the Apple HID driver allows for function keys and media control functions to correctly work.

RTFA, man. RTFA. It was working correctly, at least with the Apple HID driver, but this keyboard added some extra features like friggin Function Keys.

Why is it so shocking that an Apple keyboard clone with extra features works with the Apple keyboard driver but needed some tweaks to get their extra keys working. Sounds to me like they solved That 70s Problem...but then some new keyboard came out with some new keys so the driver needed updating. New hardware....driver updates....nah, that can't be right, something fishy there
      Actually the Apple keyboards (both wireless and wired) work just fine with plain BT/USB HID drivers. I prefer the way the operate with standard drivers. The Apple HID driver requires toggling a switch to make the F keys work like in a normal PC. Could be the standard drivers don't support all fn+key combos, but don't really care. The wireless keyboard even turns on some virtual numpad mode with the Apple HID by default.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        And yet I clearly mentioned that the HP keyboard of the similar age did work... Because it was standard and sent the correct signals out. Nothing to do with being "new". It has everything to do with not being crap.
        Good for HP. They followed standards and existing drives worked.

Similar story with my wired USB RedDragon keyboard. They followed standards and it worked with existing drivers. Totally shocking, I know.

Since TFA is about a different keyboard from a different company that didn't follow the standards, , our keyboard stories have fuck-all to do with anything.

Btw, you don't need "function keys" to go into the Apple startup select... You just need a non-defective keyboard.
        What does that have to do with Linux?

Also,

System Requirements:
        • Mac or PC with Bluetooth
        • Mac OS X v.10.6.8 or later
        (for Mac function keys)
        • iPad
        • iPhone or iPod touch
        • Android 3.0 or higher

They don't even advertise Linux support so thanks to whoever in the community provided us with this driver update so we can have an argument that's much ado about nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

You lucky, I have been fooled with so-called Razer switches... (and finding Cherry is not easy here)
          I don't know where here is, but I'm happy enough with this keyboard and their generic brown switches. Price has gone up ~$11 since I bought it almost a year ago (11/21/19) and a quick DDG found it cheaper at MicroCenter.

Comment

This keyboard looks really good (and has a numpad), but if there is no proper ISO layout version it defeats the purpose.

I don't know where here is, but I'm happy enough with this keyboard and their generic brown switches. Price has gone up ~$11 since I bought it almost a year ago (11/21/19) and a quick DDG found it cheaper at MicroCenter.
            I'm gonna go puke somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              I'm gonna go puke somewhere.
              I can't help it if mechanical RGB keyboards are now more common and cheaper than non-RGB ones. I just thought the round keys were spiffy looking . And they remind me of the time I got banned from computers at school for half a year and had to "learn to type" with a typewriter. How many of y'all took typing as an easy high school credit?

While I normally keep it blacked out, I find the blinking lights in the corner of my eyes distracting, they can be fun to play around with from time to time. If they could be paired with an app like how Das Keyboards do to make them more utilitarian over flashy I'd like them a lot more.

Wired, numpad, aluminum, nkro, brown switches, waterproof, not costly -- perfect for my needs. I couldn't justify an extra $70-200 for a Das Keyboard Q just so the Letter G could blink red when I get a Gmail.

Comment

I can't help it if mechanical RGB keyboards are now more common and cheaper than non-RGB ones. I just thought the round keys were spiffy looking . And they remind me of the time I got banned from computers at school for half a year and had to "learn to type" with a typewriter. How many of y'all took typing as an easy high school credit?

While I normally keep it blacked out, I find the blinking lights in the corner of my eyes distracting, they can be fun to play around with from time to time. If they could be paired with an app like how Das Keyboards do to make them more utilitarian over flashy I'd like them a lot more.

Wired, numpad, aluminum, nkro, brown switches, waterproof, not costly -- perfect for my needs. I couldn't justify an extra $70-200 for a Das Keyboard Q just so the Letter G could blink red when I get a Gmail.
                Well, for me the combination of those round keys and flashy colors is everything i want to avoid. Doesn't mean I'm looking for bleak, rather trying to tend towards sober and classy.
                Now that you've explained that typewriting passion of yours, it makes sense though. There is indeed a resemblance. As long as you turn those Christmas lights off.
                To each his/her own anyhow. And the most important is that you're happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                X