Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Masters Leaving NUVIA, Returning To Red Hat

Phoronix: Jon Masters Leaving NUVIA, Returning To Red Hat

Less than one year after joining NUVIA as VP of Software, longtime Linux proponent Jon Masters is leaving the company and returning to his previous position at Red Hat...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I get the feeling that the OS integration for Nuvia's hardware is gonna be pretty good for redhats product lineup

Comment

Nuvia, a name they stole from the nuclear tech company.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        I get the feeling that the OS integration for Nuvia's hardware is gonna be pretty good for redhats product lineup
        While we could hope so, things like this leave me with an entirely different feeling. That comes down to a start up with principles that don’t know what they are doing or are simply in it for the money. Having somebody with talent and desire leave so quickly is not a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          While we could hope so, things like this leave me with an entirely different feeling. That comes down to a start up with principles that don’t know what they are doing or are simply in it for the money. Having somebody with talent and desire leave so quickly is not a good sign.
          And this is where you are wrong, as usual.

High profile individuals are expensive, and keeping them after their job is done does not give any benefit. So they jump from a company to the next after their work is done.

This is especially true for a startup, that can't waste money if they want to survive. This guy isn't at the scale of the chip design guy that jumped between AMD (and created Ryzen), Tesla, and Apple (and created their ARM cores) among others and will jump again at the end of his current job, but it's still high profile enough to be expensive for a smaller company that isn't even profitable yet.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that there was an arrangement with Red Hat, and they let NUVIA borrow this guy for a while and then take him back at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            Shhh, don't ruin the surprise for other people

Comment

I can't help to wonder what the future holds for ARM-vendors like NUVIA...
              I mean, if Nvidia completes a "hostile" purchase, it could leave them in a pretty difficult spot.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                I can't help to wonder what the future holds for ARM-vendors like NUVIA...
                I mean, if Nvidia completes a "hostile" purchase, it could leave them in a pretty difficult spot.
                They have an architecture license, and the core design is their own. They are like Via and x86 processors. No matter how Intel would like to revoke the license for it (and also for AMD), they can't do that.

Unless ARM-NVIDIA starts outcompeting them (and it's unlikely, given how ARM designs have always sucked for high performance applications), they will have nothing to fear in case of such an acquisition.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  Red Hat = Stable Job Opportunities.
                  144Hz = constant shitposting

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    They have an architecture license, and the core design is their own. They are like Via and x86 processors. No matter how Intel would like to revoke the license for it (and also for AMD), they can't do that. Unless ARM-NVIDIA starts outcompeting them (and it's unlikely, given how ARM designs have always sucked for high performance applications), they will have nothing to fear in case of such an acquisition.
                    Intel invented Itanium to get rid of the licensees - it didn't work out as planned. But what if Nvidia-ARM comes with a new instruction set (ARMv9 or ARMv10) and ends its licensing business alltogether with these to keep the architecture to themselves?

Comment

Working...
                    X