No announcement yet.

Creative SoundBlaster AE-7 Sound Card To Be Supported By Linux 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought are they also going to support bluetooth connectivity in wide range / any brand? Was trying to connect on one of my bluetooth speaker doss soundbox touch but having problem it's going thru but all of the sudden it's being disconnected, it was working fine on my other computer and cellphone. Not a big issue for me, I'm just curious what happened b/c my other bt speaker is working well.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      384/32 is a big lie until somebody makes the impossible 192dB SNR DAC...
      even /24 doesn't make sense when listening, because with room floor level at 20 db 164db top volume will leave listener deaf

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        For anybody considering this, I'd suggest getting an external dac/headphone amp combo instead. Something like JDS Labs Atom or Topping DX7 Pro.

Buying Creative crap is basically throwing your money down the toilet.
        according to some reviews usb Creative Sound BlasterX G6 provided best bang for the buck

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          according to some reviews usb Creative Sound BlasterX G6 provided best bang for the buck
          I'd love to see what sort of reviews we're talking about. Particularly, the measurements they include and what they're comparing that thing against.

Comment

I'd love to see what sort of reviews we're talking about. Particularly, the measurements they include and what they're comparing that thing against.
            they are not engish. measurements are done with rmaa https://www.ixbt.com/ds/creative-sou...g6-review.html

Comment

The G6 basically acts like an external DAC in Linux, and hardware wise it is decent (overpriced of course). You lose all the software from Creative, which in my opinion is half of what you pay for. I seem to remember the G6 has onboard memory for profiles, so if you have Windows laying around you can set it up there and enjoy the effects on your Linux box.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                they are not engish. measurements are done with rmaa https://www.ixbt.com/ds/creative-sou...g6-review.html
                Not much in terms of measurements, but what's there is already bad. It's not even flat in frequency response, with 0.5dB drop happening below 20kHz

Creative's consistently overpriced crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  The G6 basically acts like an external DAC in Linux, and hardware wise it is decent (overpriced of course). You lose all the software from Creative, which in my opinion is half of what you pay for. I seem to remember the G6 has onboard memory for profiles, so if you have Windows laying around you can set it up there and enjoy the effects on your Linux box.
                  If by software you mean their unstable drivers... no thanks.

At least the old cards work with kxproject: https://github.com/kxproject

With the new ones, you're SoL.

As far as effects goes... effects are distortion. A sound card's job is to accurately reproduce sound. The rest is fringe territory (audiophile stones) and pro audio (professionals using DSP to create what they want).

Unfortunately, the latter group will find current Creative cards useless DSP-wise, as Creative doesn't document or provide access to the DSP.

Flaws aside, cards from a long time ago (emu10k1 etc) actually had a sdk proper and weren't useless. Sadly, Creative only got worse over time.
                  Last edited by ayumu; 05 September 2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

If by software you mean their unstable drivers... no thanks.

At least the old cards work with kxproject: https://github.com/kxproject

With the new ones, you're SoL.

As far as effects goes... effects are distortion. A sound card's job is to accurately reproduce sound. The rest is fringe territory (audiophile stones) and pro audio (professionals using DSP to create what they want).

Unfortunately, the latter group will find current Creative cards useless DSP-wise, as Creative doesn't document or provide access to the DSP.

Flaws aside, cards from a long time ago (emu10k1 etc) actually had a sdk proper and weren't useless. Sadly, Creative only got worse over time.
                    Which is why I would never consider buying one anymore. So-so hardware and unstable "useless" software that I can't use outside of Windows. Why overpay for that? Just get a $100 external DAC that is plug-and-play.

Comment

Not much in terms of measurements, but what's there is already bad. It's not even flat in frequency response, with 0.5dB drop happening below 20kHz
                      you've misread graph, there was no 0.5dB drop below 20khz. and btw, out of 8 measurements only frequency response got "very good" rating, rest 7 got "perfect" rating
                      Creative's consistently overpriced crap.
                      what's better at $150?
                      Last edited by pal666; 06 September 2020, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X