Creative SoundBlaster AE-7 Sound Card To Be Supported By Linux 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Well of course it's not an audiophile device, but for 15€ they provide excellent quality. Most people don't have headphones that would exhibit the hiss.

Internal PCIe sound cards have higher chances of picking up interference. I've had both a X-Fi and a ASUS Xonar that would sometimes pick up sounds when the PC was under heavy load (and this was with a high-end Seasonic PSU). Having a GPU that eats a few hundred watts above the PCIe sound card can have an effect regardless of how good the shielding is. Since then I've been using USB DACs exclusively and haven't had that problem.

Have you tested the same headphones as the Sharkoon DAC was tested with?
    Well played

I think the Sharkoons are nice for the price but you can not compare it to the rather "premium" soundblaster. As a DIY Hifi guy I for sure do not say price equals soundquality that is wrong. So even very cheap stuff can sound great thats why I was mentioning the onboard sound.

Don't get me wrong I don't have Golden Ears but I have listend to a lot of Systems in my life yet. Build some good ones too and had the chance to listen to some considered Audophile Sytems like Burmester 069 Reference CDP with complete referenceline chain, also B&W Nautilus or MBL Radial Speakers.
    What I have learned well designed cheap stuff can give you the same chill / kick of very good stuff maybe not the of the best ones but close enough to state it is "audiophile".
    E.g. the KZ Ate or KZ ZNS Pro X IEM are asthonishing considering their 20$ price tag. Easily playing against 100€+ gear.

But if something gives hiss there is almost no chance that it can push you into the audionirvana. (except of Vacuum tubes)

The mentioned onboard sound is even more clean seperated without harshness sounding then my good old heavily modded (almost rebuild) Marantz CD 63.
    All my other sound emitting devices Samsung, Sony Phone, old iPad, multiple Notebooks and mainboards do not exhibit anything near. And the most of the devices have a hiss too which is clearly audible. So my IE are on the more revealing side.

But yes for a scientific comparison I need the Meze 99 Noir or SteelSeries Arctis 1 as the review guy. Usually even if you don't hear the hiss but you are close to hiss the sound is not clear separated and already mushy. That is the major reason why hiss for me is a no-go. It correlates with clear* sound.

According to Internal EMI pickups. Even if shielded it is the common powersupply and ground which is full of spikes and transients because the GFX/CPU is sucking and chopping current like hell when powerstates are switched. As said by you a good PSU helps to have at least a quiet baseline and a good line regulation to regulate against that spikes(better to say the pits).

This can be further prevented with proper local decoupling and using some Voltage LDO with high PSRR even up to 80db in the mhz regime like the LT3042 before the DAC and components following it in the signalchain afterwards.
    But not sure if this is fissible on a PCIe card. (btw thats why I consider the AE-9 superior to AE-7 - more decoupling Caps)
    With a USB stick it is more difficult to pack all that extra EMI suppression onto it. Besides the 5V of the USB is also not very clean especially when other peripherials are emitting their garbage and bad design EMI into it.(e.g. wireless devices).

edit: *clear in the sense of clean, transparent and natural. It can sound clear also transparent whilst having harsh components making it unnatural almost metalic.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 September 2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

the 30€ Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S has some "...faint background hiss I was able to hear whenever I connected low impedance headphones..".

For 30€ that is acceptable for a 200€ card it should not have any hiss...for me this does not sound like an alternative. Well I havn't heard the SoundBlaster but I doubt they hiss.
      Hiss is often some groundloop or EMI issue and can be considered as bad board design if the DACs are good. Although I have to admit the AE-7 PCB looks a bit cluttered. AE-9 looks way better from PCB design + more decoupling caps.

The onboard soundcard I have mentioned don't hiss either.
      Please. Noise low enough for a black background is pretty basic.

By good I mean something like this, with proper measurements:

This is a review and detailed measurements of the new Topping DX7 Pro DAC and headphone amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by the company. The DX7 Pro costs US $599 but they usually go on sale for less on sites such as drop.com. The DX7 Pro has the most refined look of any Topping produce...

Not merely "doesn't sound flawed outright". That's a low bar to meet. And creative crap does often not even meet it.
      Last edited by ayumu; 01 September 2020, 07:59 AM. Reason: Wrong url

Comment

My second Hobby is diy Hifi audiostuff. Just recently I was very surprised what onboard is delivering nowadays.

The onboard sound of the asus ws pro x570 ace is really splendid. They have a Realtek chip not the premium Wolfson, ESS, AD or TI / BurrBrown DAC's.
        But a sophisticated layout with separated PCB layers and good EMI suppression/mitigation. Some Nichicon Muse Caps. Well made.

I haven't had a recent Soundblaster. So I'm not able to compare it but onboard is reaching a new level. They (Creative) will have trouble justifing the extra costs for a dedicated card.
        Remember that most people don't invest in decent sound systems. Onboard is certainly acceptable, but when using even mid-range headphones (my trusty ATH-50) I can tell the quality difference.

Creatives hardware has rarely been an issue (Recon3D line being the notable exception); their software has been a mess though. The most I can say is my Soundlbaster Z hasn't run into any software issues yet...

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Please. Noise low enough for a black background is pretty basic.

By good I mean something like this, with proper measurements:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...reviewed.9446/

Not merely "doesn't sound flawed outright". That's a low bar to meet. And creative crap does often not even meet it.
          It might be a low bar to meet. But unforunately devices (consumer)Reviewed with "good sound" do exhibit it aswell. Just go to the local consumer electronics shop
          and pick any "good" device 500€+. You will see it can be considered costly but often hiss is still present. Maybe not so much on the source side but amplifiers for sure.

btw topping dx7 is doing everything right I have mentioned above (and more)
          It starts with a good DAC ES9038pro
          Uses 3x proper Crystal Oscilators less jitter
          Toroid Transformer less strayfield then a default EI but more expensive
          good main decoupling Caps Nichicon (I also like the FW series in low voltage devices <20V)
          very good TExas Instruments LDO's (TPS7A33+TPS7A47) almost as good as the LT3042.
          Nice TI Opamps I/V stage opamps (LME49720) btw swapable good for opamp rolling.
          Common Groundplane and guardring with multiple vias
          OMRON relais
          Last but not least most propbaly Vishay MKP1398 polyproylen caps very unusual because in that price range Wima is the choice.
          But the vishays are considered better.
          No wonder that it sounds great and for the price 599€ very reasonable the DAC alone are in the range of 60-90€ afaik. all the other major chips around 2-10€ each
          PSU Caps 3-8€ each. Toroid 20€? Oscilators 15-30€ each? relais 5-10€ each

But 599€ way above 30€ bucks and even way above 200€.
          But it contains all the good stuff you might find in 1000€-5000€ gear without getting esoteric parts.

Nice stuff! Outstanding for the price.

Last edited by CochainComplex; 01 September 2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            384/32 is a big lie until somebody makes the impossible 192dB SNR DAC...
            Such a thing doesn't have to exist. You can have different recordings mixed into the same track, where you could take advantage of the whole range. But... whether the human ear can even detect it is a whole other story.

Comment

Nice stuff! Outstanding for the price.
              Indeed looks nice, but it's missing the essentials! No RGB and no Audiophile Rocks compatibility!

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                Remember that most people don't invest in decent sound systems. Onboard is certainly acceptable, but when using even mid-range headphones (my trusty ATH-50) I can tell the quality difference.

Creatives hardware has rarely been an issue (Recon3D line being the notable exception); their software has been a mess though. The most I can say is my Soundlbaster Z hasn't run into any software issues yet...
                Yeah. People like us are the odd ones out.

I bought my previous phone literally for the decent sound system -- an LG V20 with an on-board DAC. Fast forward to my new phone where I bought it for battery life and forgot to check for a DAC...I wish my old phone still worked whenever I plug headphones in . It's awful even using the line-in in the car where I catch myself turning the volume 3x higher than I ever have to get "audible" music . At least the in-car quality over BT rivals my old phone wired up...so it looks like I gotta bite the bullet and finally buy BT headphones....which is just weird to me because I like and prefer wired everything.

Most people just do not get that "problem" I'm describing. To them, sound is sound and they'd be happy enough with a cell phone's speaker whereas the treble quality in 128kb mp3s irks me.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

Indeed looks nice, but it's missing the essentials! No RGB and no Audiophile Rocks compatibility!
                  XD we could declare RGB is enhancing the sound. Bang you would have both RGB and Hifi Esoterics.

Btw. my most favorites are these ones https://telos-audio.com.tw/sticker/ just genius simple stickers sold expensive. First I thought they are soaked with LSD to justifiy the price but ...no only the inventor was soaked with LSD. ProfitMargin of this stickers must be way higher then nvidias best cashcow.

Comment

I was impressed by the onboard audio on my Aorus B450 board. It's one of those premium solutions using ALC1220. It's a notch below my venerable M-Audio Revo card that I used for a decade, but it's good enough that I probably won't replace it unless I have a lot more "disposable" income.

Comment

Creative was superb back when I used Windows in the 98SE and XP days. For Linux it was always a pain, generally. The only Creative card I have left is a Soundblaster 2ZS which ironically works excellent in Linux to these day but can't say the same with current Windows. I have been tempted to try their current solutions, but the sting from my past experiences with them still hurts. Maybe when I have the extra cash I may try them again.
                      The last discrete sound card I had was a Xonar DX. Worked (and still works) beautifully in Linux and sound quality is adequate (not an audiophile). However, it started making this weird disappearing act when sometimes after a reboot the OS would not detect it. Happens in both Linux and Windows, so it's a hardware fault. Have an old Xonar DG that does the same too. Read a while ago that it was a not so common issue with the cards.
                      After that I go a Ryzen machine with an ALC1220. Sound wise it's just as good as the Xonar DX, but my board has issues (Gaming K7). Font panel would have crackling sound (does not happen with the Xonar) and my headphones (of the rather sensitive variety) picks up background noise from my machine. So now I'm using the cheap USB dongle that came with my Revolver headset, and aside from the slight white noise, it works fine. Planning to get a USB DAC later on, if anything because the noise from my current solution triggers me.

Comment

Working...
                      X