USB Cleans Up Its Terminology, Continued USB4 Work For Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

One thing is sure, those changes did NOT remove racism from the community! Who was stupid enough to think that it would anyway? Racism is present in the FOSS community but NOT in the master/slave terminology. Once again, people fight against imaginary racism while real racism is still very present and not fought against. I'm seriously starting to think that the true reason behind those imaginary racism controversies is that some people just do NOT want to fight against real racism and are fighting imaginary racism just to pretend to be fighting racism, so they can do nothing against real racism without being told they are doing nothing against racism.
    I am only aware of one racist issue in the FOSS-com. And it has the same, misguided, motivation as the removal of master/slave: Virtue signalling, why do something real when you get the same dopamine hit from just pretending?
    The other racist issue? Diversity, which is about creating an unlevel playing field to favor some races.

And you are totally right: this is not helping with racism, quite the opposite. It creates a victim group, purely based on their skin color.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

There is nothing more sane then:
      USB 3.2 Gen 1
      USB 3.2 Gen 2
      USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

but I have a serious problem with USB 4, because it should actually be called USB 3.2 Gen 3, maybe better if we put all USB standards under the USB 4 umbrella and name them per Gen. So USB 4 would actually be USB 4.4 Gen 1.
      It's USB4, without the space, because consistency is king

Comment

Generally not a fan of the terminology crap, but for USB, wasn't "host/device" common in the spec itself from USB 2.0 onwards anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

There is nothing more sane then:
          USB 3.2 Gen 1
          USB 3.2 Gen 2
          USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

but I have a serious problem with USB 4, because it should actually be called USB 3.2 Gen 3, maybe better if we put all USB standards under the USB 4 umbrella and name them per Gen. So USB 4 would actually be USB 4.4 Gen 1.
          They could have just stuck to:
          USB 3.0 (5 Gb/s)
          USB 3.1 (10 Gb/s)
          USB 3.2 (2x10 Gb/s)
          USB 4.0 (2x20 Gb/s)

Instead of renaming everything with each new version. But now you can have a USB 3.2 port with only 3.0 speeds. We never got devices with "USB 2.0 low speed" ports.

There is not just the ones you mentioned. There is now:

Gen 1x1
          Gen 1X2
          Gen 1x3
          Gen 2x1
          Gen 2X2
          Gen 2x3

With 1X2 and 2x1 having the same speed.
          Last edited by LinAGKar; 07 August 2020, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
            I'm seriously starting to think that the true reason behind those imaginary racism controversies is that some people just do NOT want to fight against real racism and are fighting imaginary racism just to pretend to be fighting racism, so they can do nothing against real racism without being told they are doing nothing against racism.
            Crap, this guy found out the truth!
            SJW central has been notified, independent black trans women have been dispatched to your location.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Deloget View Post

It's USB4, without the space, because consistency is king
              it's actually very good for the crappy search engines in stores. That way "USB4" is a single keyword, instead of "USB" and "3" or "4".

Comment

USB has become the top m***rel child of the communication family.
                Even though, upon conception, hopes were that it would stabilize the situation with the other m***rel children of said family...

I guess that's what you get when you design everything in a committee.
                Sooner or later it's going to get out of control.

Comment

geat more news about cotton picker/cotton picker owner joke
                  this amrica for you

Comment

I identify as a zombie 🧟‍♀️️, and I think it is reprehensible that the word "zombie process" is used with a negative connotation.

🧟‍♀️️🧟‍♂️️🧟️

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                      USB has become the top m***rel
                      mongrel?

Comment

Working...
                      X