X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I miss that too. My current Lenovo ThinkPad has, IMHO, the best notebook keyboard of any notebook out there, but it's still nowhere near the feeling of pre-chiclet. I wish they'd just put the ThinkPad Anniversary keyboard on the rest of the lineup.
    yes true the actual thinkpad series has some good chiclet ones but as pointed out by you not compareable to the pre-chiclet generation.....now we have 10 years(?) of chiclet and almost no improvement ...more or less. the pushing down feels better but the "gap and edge" design is still the same
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 31 July 2020, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    btw Am I the only one missing the pre chiclet notebook keys? (the ones looking like flat mechnucal ones.) every time i sit in front of a "vintage" it feels like a massage
    I miss that too. My current Lenovo ThinkPad has, IMHO, the best notebook keyboard of any notebook out there, but it's still nowhere near the feeling of pre-chiclet. I wish they'd just put the ThinkPad Anniversary keyboard on the rest of the lineup.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    ISystem76 has a reputation for thoughtful design and high quality manufacturing, so I am curious to see what they come up with.
    They do? Every time I open a System76 article, it's nothing but "OH GOOD, MORE CLEVO REBRANDING!!!". Don't get me wrong: I love System76, but they don't make many products themselves...
    Last edited by Vistaus; 31 July 2020, 12:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by nh2_ View Post

Already happening: https://tex.com.tw/products/shinobi

Custom keyboard with mechanical switches, closely following the original, non-chiclet Thinkpad keybaord layout, and it has a trackpoint.
    I pre-ordered 2 of them on day one and I'm typing this reply from one. The trackpoint is basically 1:1 besides scrolling being line wise and not being able to tweak things like negative inertia.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

1 in use. 3 more in storage myself.

When in the consulting world, I used to deal with secretaries and administrative assistants dealing with carpal or otherwise just hated their cheap chiclet keyboards.

After fixing the ergos I would always recommend a Unicomp (www.pckeyboard.com) keyboard. Unicomp is the former typewriter/keyboard division (or whats left) of IBM/Lexmark.

The boss would always freak out, "I am not spending a freaking 100 bucks on a keyboard when Walmart has them for $9"

I lent them one of mine. The carpal faded and their productivity went up as the wpm started to climb. I came back and reclaimed it. A week later the boss called and asked where one could get this stupid expensive keyboard. End of story. Happened 3 times.

Too bad they stopped making the white Model M years ago, but they are still the better of the buckling spring style keyboards. (IMHO)

Maybe system76 should talk to Unicomp. They are made in Lexington, Kentucky.
    Unfortunately, Unicomp's plastic molds are very worn out and the quality of their keyboards is not what you expect from IBM. Still the closest thing to a original Model M tough, and without paying the exorbitant prices scalpers are asking on Ebay.

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    I never thought I could see something like the keyboard.io from a major computer vendor! Maybe eventually even in a laptop? Sign me up. Also I'm in Denver and will totally volunteer to help with Colemak support in any way I can if it'll help.

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Well, after reading a lot of strange things( thanks god no one asked for buttons for Grenade/Rocket Launchers.. ),
    I think I can beat all of you hands down..

So here is my purpose:
    Make a KISS keyboard, no letters in any key, control it by brain commands..

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    I'll give up my 1986 IBM Model M when they pry it from my cold dead hands. That said, system76 has a reputation for thoughtful design and high quality manufacturing, so I am curious to see what they come up with.
    1 in use. 3 more in storage myself.

When in the consulting world, I used to deal with secretaries and administrative assistants dealing with carpal or otherwise just hated their cheap chiclet keyboards.

After fixing the ergos I would always recommend a Unicomp (www.pckeyboard.com) keyboard. Unicomp is the former typewriter/keyboard division (or whats left) of IBM/Lexmark.

The boss would always freak out, "I am not spending a freaking 100 bucks on a keyboard when Walmart has them for $9"

I lent them one of mine. The carpal faded and their productivity went up as the wpm started to climb. I came back and reclaimed it. A week later the boss called and asked where one could get this stupid expensive keyboard. End of story. Happened 3 times.

Too bad they stopped making the white Model M years ago, but they are still the better of the buckling spring style keyboards. (IMHO)

Maybe system76 should talk to Unicomp. They are made in Lexington, Kentucky.
    Last edited by edwaleni; 31 July 2020, 12:12 AM. Reason: Added where Unicomp resides.

Leave a comment:

• BrianRamsay
    replied
    The irony of being a mechanical keyboard enthusiast is that even though the first one I bought was the cheapest and not the greatest brand it's still great and still going strong. I have no real justification for buying these others! I'm looking forward to see what the System76 treatment looks like. It's been awhile since I bought that last one....

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    I'll give up my 1986 IBM Model M when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Have you seeing how much a good Model M go for these days? You better not go out telling everyone you have one, or somebody could put a crowbar to use.
    Last edited by M@GOid; 30 July 2020, 09:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X