No announcement yet.

System76 Talks Up Their Forthcoming Linux Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw Am I the only one missing the pre chiclet notebook keys? (the ones looking like flat mechnucal ones.) every time i sit in front of a "vintage" it feels like a massage

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      TrackPoint IV patents are expired now, just saying. I wish someone would actually try competing with Lenovo.
      Already happening: https://tex.com.tw/products/shinobi

Custom keyboard with mechanical switches, closely following the original, non-chiclet Thinkpad keybaord layout, and it has a trackpoint.

Comment

This keyboard will respect my freedom?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer_ View Post
          Oh, yes: System 76, please include trackpoint in your new keyboard design…
          Please don't.
          Unless it is part of a customization. Then do. The more people are satisfied, the merrier.
          I hope that "empowering you to fully customize your keyboard to your whims" will give us just that, a decent number of options so that we are fully empowered. The opposite of Gnome.

Comment

I am interested to see what they come up with, I think System76 have a good idea of what people actually want in a world where most companies are just selling crap.

And I don't need a new computer so it would be nice to be able to support them with something else.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              btw Am I the only one missing the pre chiclet notebook keys? (the ones looking like flat mechnucal ones.) every time i sit in front of a "vintage" it feels like a massage
              You are definitely not the only one given the community of Thinkpad users that swear be the classic 7 row keyboard from the T series pre-T430.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

You are definitely not the only one given the community of Thinkpad users that swear be the classic 7 row keyboard from the T series pre-T430.
                exactly, I'm once in a while using the T60...splendid. I have heard chiclet came up when Apple did their unibody thing. I hope that one day the pre-chiclet will come back. for me typing on chiclet feels like typing on a calculator...

Comment

trackpoint, please

Description of the feature A good trackpad is valuable, but many prefer the thinkpad-style "trackpoint" ("joystick" between the ghb keys plus physical buttons below the spacebar). Don't follow the ...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I'll give up my 1986 IBM Model M when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
                    Have you seeing how much a good Model M go for these days? You better not go out telling everyone you have one, or somebody could put a crowbar to use.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 30 July 2020, 09:56 PM.

Comment

The irony of being a mechanical keyboard enthusiast is that even though the first one I bought was the cheapest and not the greatest brand it's still great and still going strong. I have no real justification for buying these others! I'm looking forward to see what the System76 treatment looks like. It's been awhile since I bought that last one....

Comment

Working...
                      X