Clear All
    Remote User

• Remote User
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kcrudup

• kcrudup
    replied
    FWIW, I own one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NPFV21K . $35 and I like it a lot, have two. Because it's got an ASMedia Tech controller in it, it doesn't suffer from the problems the JMicron ones do (I haven't found a JMicron NVMe/USB-C controller that doesn't drop offline from the USB-C under heavy load (i.e., bonnie++). If you use the following udev rule, you can also run "fstrim" on it from time-to-time (the "discard" mount option isn't recommended for NVMe drives):

Code:
    ACTION=="add|change", ATTRS{idVendor}=="174c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="2362", SUBSYSTEM=="scsi_disk", ATTR{provisioning_mode}="unmap"

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn

• FireBurn
    replied
    Isn't that kinda slow for an nvme drive?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel

• Weasel
    replied
    Michael
    Michael does this enclosure report S.M.A.R.T. data?

Leave a comment:

• numacross

• numacross
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    Don't these USB NVMe key's max out at about 1000MB/s on read/write? Never seen any go faster then that for whatever reason.
    That speed is around the limit of 10GBit/s USB 3.2 Gen 2. There is a faster version available: 20Gbit/s USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, but it's quite rare.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Any chance you could do a bulk write the drive (50GB+ in a single transfer) to show how the drive reacts to one of the limitations of QLC?

It's quite a painful experience to see an SSD transferring data slower than a HDD...

Leave a comment:

• theriddick

• theriddick
    replied
    Don't these USB NVMe key's max out at about 1000MB/s on read/write? Never seen any go faster then that for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

• moriel5

• moriel5
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    When looking for something faster, I was shocked with the prices. Anything over 200 MB/s was really expensive, even for modest 64GB models. So I stumbled upon those M.2 cases, and the prices were really cheap. I ended with the cheapest 120GB M.2 I could find (another Lexar), and a cheap Chinese slim aluminium case. Reads are about 400 MB/s on a USB 3.0 connection, way above similar priced, half capacity flashdrives. It is bulkier, sure, but still pocket friendly and easily up-gradable and fixable. I couldn't be happier.
    I think that may also be due to the shelf life. USB flash drives tend to have slower NANDs which have longer lifespans.

By the way, I wonder whether an Optane SSD would work properly over USB, and if so, whether USB3 speeds could potentially allow for over 10 years of shelf life.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni

• edwaleni
    replied
    FWIW: These Sabrent USB enclosures won't boot on a RaspPi4. Not a popular use case by any means, but for some reason the Sabrent's bridge chip just doesn't like those Pi USB3 ports.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
    Low TBW ratings though:
    1TB=160, 2TB=530, 4TB=940

For comparison, my Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB has a 2400TBW rating.
    Another data point, my original intel X25-E drives (from 2010) in 64 GB capacity have 1000 TBW rating. 1 PB of writes to a 64 GB drive is a lot of cycles!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X