No announcement yet.

Sabrent USB 3.2 Enclosure + Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe SSD On Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrent USB 3.2 Enclosure + Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe SSD On Linux Performance

Phoronix: Sabrent USB 3.2 Enclosure + Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe SSD On Linux Performance

For those looking at an NVMe PCIe M.2 solid-state drive enclosure for connecting to USB 3.1/3.2 systems, Sabrent offers a nice option with their EC-TFNB enclosure that is constructed out of aluminum, 100% tool-free, and runs well. I recently bought this Sabrent USB 3.2 enclosure along with the Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVMe solid-state drive, which offers nice performance for a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD and the 2TB capacity can be found for just about $250 USD.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29405

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The Sabrent EC-TFNB enclosure is all-alunimum and helps
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The average temperature was similar in the two scenarios at 41~42 degrees Celsisus.

Comment

Those M.2 enclosures/cases are really nice. I like having around a fast flashdrive and after losing a nice Lexar one, I bought a Corsair Voyager GT, mainly because mine first one (~15 years) was still working I was afraid to lose another too soon. But the performance was disappointing, with only about ~50 MB/s, against 150/170 MB/s of the Lexar.

When looking for something faster, I was shocked with the prices. Anything over 200 MB/s was really expensive, even for modest 64GB models. So I stumbled upon those M.2 cases, and the prices were really cheap. I ended with the cheapest 120GB M.2 I could find (another Lexar), and a cheap Chinese slim aluminium case. Reads are about 400 MB/s on a USB 3.0 connection, way above similar priced, half capacity flashdrives. It is bulkier, sure, but still pocket friendly and easily up-gradable and fixable. I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Low TBW ratings though:
        1TB=160, 2TB=530, 4TB=940

For comparison, my Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB has a 2400TBW rating.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
          Low TBW ratings though:
          1TB=160, 2TB=530, 4TB=940

For comparison, my Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB has a 2400TBW rating.
          Another data point, my original intel X25-E drives (from 2010) in 64 GB capacity have 1000 TBW rating. 1 PB of writes to a 64 GB drive is a lot of cycles!

Comment

FWIW: These Sabrent USB enclosures won't boot on a RaspPi4. Not a popular use case by any means, but for some reason the Sabrent's bridge chip just doesn't like those Pi USB3 ports.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              When looking for something faster, I was shocked with the prices. Anything over 200 MB/s was really expensive, even for modest 64GB models. So I stumbled upon those M.2 cases, and the prices were really cheap. I ended with the cheapest 120GB M.2 I could find (another Lexar), and a cheap Chinese slim aluminium case. Reads are about 400 MB/s on a USB 3.0 connection, way above similar priced, half capacity flashdrives. It is bulkier, sure, but still pocket friendly and easily up-gradable and fixable. I couldn't be happier.
              I think that may also be due to the shelf life. USB flash drives tend to have slower NANDs which have longer lifespans.

By the way, I wonder whether an Optane SSD would work properly over USB, and if so, whether USB3 speeds could potentially allow for over 10 years of shelf life.

Comment

Don't these USB NVMe key's max out at about 1000MB/s on read/write? Never seen any go faster then that for whatever reason.

Comment

Any chance you could do a bulk write the drive (50GB+ in a single transfer) to show how the drive reacts to one of the limitations of QLC?

It's quite a painful experience to see an SSD transferring data slower than a HDD...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Don't these USB NVMe key's max out at about 1000MB/s on read/write? Never seen any go faster then that for whatever reason.
                    That speed is around the limit of 10GBit/s USB 3.2 Gen 2. There is a faster version available: 20Gbit/s USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, but it's quite rare.

Comment

Working...
                    X