Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Serves Up Over 17 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users

Phoronix: LVFS Serves Up Over 17 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users

The Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for hosting firmware files to be consumed by Fwupd for firmware updating from Linux is on quite a streak...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    What have your Fwupd+LVFS experiences been like?
    It has been flawless for me so far, and overall I've found it to be extremely useful.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    What hardware do you wish to be supported that currently is not?
    I'd like to see HP try to get to a similar level of support that Dell and Lenovo provide, there's a lot of HP laptops and desktops out there. More SSD vendor support would also be great, like if Intel, Samsung, Crucial etc. provided updates for all of their consumer and enterprise drives.

On the enterprise side, I wish Dell/Lenovo/HPE/Supermicro/Cisco servers could have firmware updates managed and deployed through fwupd.

Comment

Agreed, on my Dell laptop fwupd is working great! Wish that they wouldn't be so selective in only providing lvfs for some models and not others.

Comment

Fwupd+LVFS is the perfect example of standardization done right.
        It has a real purpose, it fits various type of devices and provides to both consumers and manufacturers something both needed but didn't have for decades.

Comment

A few years ago I picked and installed an Intel NUC at some friends' place on their 1080p TV, so they could browse the web without getting viruses and comfortably watch stuff off USB HDDs.
          I put Ubuntu LTS on it and set it to update itself automatically, and also to reboot by itself if required by updates. It runs 24/7 but with maybe 8 W idle power draw, so what.
          For years on end there were no issues whatsoever. Every time I visited, it was always up-to-date package-wise and fully functional.

Last time when I was there they told me to have a look because it said something about an update being available.
          Turns out, it was a Logitech USB plug firmware update to mitigate the most recent exploits against their remote keyboard+touchpad.

Ubuntu's graphical frontend informed about an approximately 10 seconds input loss if the update were to be applied, and it took like 2 mouse clicks to do exactly that.

Just like that. No problems, superb user experience overall. I was impressed.

Comment

My Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver firmware was updated 3 or 4 times without problems.

Comment

I wish HP would hurry up and start providing UEFI updates for their laptops through LVFS too...

Comment

Originally posted by Dunexus View Post
                Fwupd+LVFS is the perfect example of standardization done right.
                It has a real purpose, it fits various type of devices and provides to both consumers and manufacturers something both needed but didn't have for decades.
                Now it is the perfect time for Canonical to bomb it ..is there any LVFS alternative in canonicals pipeline?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                  It has been flawless for me so far, and overall I've found it to be extremely useful.
                  .... More SSD vendor support would also be great, like if Intel, Samsung, Crucial etc. provided updates for all of their consumer and enterprise drives.
                  I really dont understand why e.g. intel is not providing it for the consumer stuff. I would really understand if they have some dedicated "safer" business solution but on consumer devices it should be a no-brainer for them.

Comment

I would love it if it was possible to update the firmware of devices connected through Bluetooth such as my Sony headphones. However I doubt that the mechanism to deliver such updates is standardised, it probably relies on some device specific protocols. Either way it would be refreshing if I would not have to connect my devices to my Android phone, download a specific app for that device, create an account and manually search for firmware updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X