Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 To Support Emulating MLC NAND Flash Memory As SLC

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 To Support Emulating MLC NAND Flash Memory As SLC

The Linux MTD subsystem that abstracts raw flash devices will allow emulating MLC NANDs as SLC in an attempt to boost reliability...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It doesn't help with write performance, though.

I'd be really nice if the flash devices would expose some way of using different bit-densities on a per- erase block basis. I don't need the device to track which blocks are programmed how; a higher-level layer can handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Among the other MTD work is support for "constrainted" controllers and a variety of driver updates.
      Hmm... there is "constrained"...

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        I'd be really nice if the flash devices would expose some way of using different bit-densities on a per- erase block basis.
        What do you mean by that? can you make an example?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          It doesn't help with write performance, though.

I'd be really nice if the flash devices would expose some way of using different bit-densities on a per- erase block basis. I don't need the device to track which blocks are programmed how; a higher-level layer can handle that.
          Per block would never be useful. But per partition would.

Comment

Working...
          X