Linux 5.8 To Allow Swapping Fn / Ctrl Keys On Apple Keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lundgren View Post
    Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?
    I would probably do that soon-ish after Apple kills updates for that hardware, which to me, this is the only real valid reason with buying hardware that's still supported when bought.

For when buying even older hardware, I can see it being repurposed as legitimate to those who have a reason that's greater at the time than having an Mac OS on it (which would be unsupported anyway but not the main reason).

Comment

I think somebody needs to port that to macOS

Comment

Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?
        There's nothing premium in Apple's hardware.

Comment

Hahah, DAE hate Apple, Macs, and macOS?!!1

Not everyone using Macbooks are paying for the current/newest model at full price.

A bit over a year ago I bought a Macbook Pro 2014 for about $400. I also bought an eGPU enclosure, and used my desktop RX 580 with that Macbook to play some games at 4K (TB2, so PCI-E 2.0 x16 speeds). For $400, there is no other laptop that matches the quality of the Macbook (metal chassis, good build quality inside and out), and nothing that includes any kind of Thunderbolt support. Not to mention the ability to run all 3 major operating systems too.

I ran Linux primarily (Fedora 30 and 31) on that Macbook with little issue. eGPU worked great on macOS and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            Hahah, DAE hate Apple, Macs, and macOS?!!1
            Apple fanboys are truly retarded.

You do know you can run macOS/OS X/whatever-it's-called-now on regular PCs, right? Though I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to Apple's OS willingly. Everything that runs on macOS runs on Windows, and Unix stuff runs better on Linux (or on actual Unixen, like FreeBSD).

I really wish your crapbook doesn't break, because repairing it will cost you much more than $400.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Apple fanboys are truly retarded.
              I don't like Apple either, for several reasons (data-theft through pushing iCloud on unsuspecting users, hardware DRM, first-run initialization to identify you as an owner, etc.) so don't take my post as supporting Apple. Rather take it as an attempt to shine light on how Apple pulls people onto their platforms.

You do know you can run macOS/OS X/whatever-it's-called-now on regular PCs, right?
              Yes, technically you can because MacOS is compiled for the x86-64 architecture. It's called Hackintosh, why? Because you can't just boot a USB-installer and install/run MacOS without a couple of essential ingredients(hacks): A special booloader (Clover) and a driver to fake an Apple-only controller called SMC (FakeSMC.kext kernel extension). That's the basics. But there is usually more you have to do to get compatibility, and not all x86 CPUs or GPUs out there are supported. You have to be careful and check that your hardware can run MacOS with extra drivers. You also have to recognize that any MacOS update can break compatibility with your hardware and there are no guarantees you'll get it back. You have no support from Apple of course.

Unless you can tolerate a cat-and-mouse game with Apple when it comes to updates breaking your build, don't spend your time on a Hackintosh. Besides, there are no real benefits in using MacOS over Linux, unless it's Apple hardware compatibility or you're working for a company that HAS TO USE Final Cut Pro or use Cocoa for iOS development.

Though I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to Apple's OS willingly.
              I hate MacOS, but let me tell you something. When I go to work, I can plug my Macbook(running MacOS) to almost any projector and it just works. Printers, just work (and no issues with the printer using colored ink to write in black). The desktop environment is mature and polished. They have sandboxing and app-signatures. Apps are well-integrated because of Apple's developer guidelines and them setting a standard, almost forcing developers to make good-looking & integrated apps for their platform. It's convenient, it feels "safe".

However, it's a privacy and security nightmare, and it can (will) be its user's enemy one day. But that's a fact 95% of Apple users are unaware of unfortunately.

Everything that runs on macOS runs on Windows, and Unix stuff runs better on Linux (or on actual Unixen, like FreeBSD).

I really wish your crapbook doesn't break, because repairing it will cost you much more than $400.
              Luckily for him it's an older model, so he can probably still get it fixed for less with the help of a non-certified technician because of less HW DRMs.
              Last edited by board; 07 June 2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X