No announcement yet.

8GB Raspberry Pi 4 Launched For $75 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a huge change for the better, though without mainline everything it's still a PITA to use these things.

Comment

Originally posted by zoltanp View Post
      I would like to see a trustable (open-source hardware, software; possibility for security audit) computer, usable as a decent home-server.
      You did not say that you wanted to see it in your lifetime, so expect it sometime after the Sun in our solar system expands to engulf our blue marble planet.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

You did not say that you wanted to see it in your lifetime, so expect it sometime after the Sun in our solar system expands to engulf our blue marble planet.
        I'm sure the Talos systems are probably closest. IBM is more open with POWER than Intel is with x86. IIRC the Talos also only has one blob that's used to initialize the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          This is a huge change for the better, though without mainline everything it's still a PITA to use these things.
          You can boot Ubuntu generic aarch64 kernel on RPi3B with UEFI (take 1.23 as base, and use newer RPI_EFI.fd from 1.25 to workaround this issue) and it will work just fine. I actually tested this couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
          the only closed source software on it is the bootloader and firmware for the VideoCore.
          I guess you forgot about WiFi firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            I guess you forgot about WiFi firmware.
            no, I didn't. I'm not using the buily-in WiFi so I got rid of the firmware for it a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
              my Pi 3 is running a 64-bit mainline kernel just fine. the only closed source software on it is the bootloader and firmware for the VideoCore.
              Ho yeah?
              How can that be?
              Give me a favoir and go to https://www.kernel.org/, download a kernel, compile it, then go to u-boot repo download a resealse, also the armtrusted firmware, compile everything , and tell me if it boots and you have graphics on it( ofcourse with mesa compiled there too.. )..

Ho wait, you can't right?Its not mainline stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                Ho yeah?
                How can that be?
                Give me a favoir and go to https://www.kernel.org/, download a kernel, compile it, then go to u-boot repo download a resealse, also the armtrusted firmware, compile everything , and tell me if it boots and you have graphics on it( ofcourse with mesa compiled there too.. )..
                Raspberry Pi foundation maintains customized Linux kernel for Raspberry Pi devices. Cross-compiling vanilla kernel to Raspberry Pi is bit challenging. But its worth giving a try as we can test latest

Sorry people have been using mainline kernels with Raspberry PI 3 for a while now with graphical working Of course its not issue less. So yes you can go and download from kernel.org build a kernel and get it to work on a raspberry pi. Yes you may have pulled a device tree from a raspberry pi kernel to-do it.

raspberry PI 1-4 will fire up on mainline linux kernels. Raspberry PI 4 requires Linux kernel mainline 5.5.

Raspberry PI 1-4 stuff for armtusted firmware is mainlined in that project. u-boot repo development branch has all the PI 1-4 stuff.

So most of the stuff is mainline. Videocore for init the hardware that you have to get out of raspberry repos as that is not mainlined anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  Ho yeah?
                  How can that be?

Ho wait, you can't right?Its not mainline stuff..
                  it does indeed boot and have graphics on it, so it's obvious that you didn't actually try before insisting that it's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                    It is not the RPI that does not have enough RAM to run stuff.
                    It is the software that are too bloated to run on the PI ...
                    Often not so much bloat in Linux software. Just that some software needs lots of RAM for large data structures. If using the RPi as a backup server, you may need to handle quite large databases that works best if memory-mapped and the RAM is big enough that all data can be in the RAM.

Consuming more RAM isn't just a question of bloated software. It's also a question of solving problems in real time that wasn't practical to do 5-10 years ago. Programs are working with so much larger data sets now.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

SATA is far too retro. I'm much rather see two PCI-Express based M.2 slots though one would do. This especially in the case of PI-5 which would be the logical place for new capability. In a nut shell SATA doesn't have anymore reason to exist on modern hardware than ATA, SCSI or other outdated tech.
                      Except that SATA is very good for lower-power solutions. Most higher-end solutions requires special cooling for the SSD. You are seriously underestimating SATA - especially when using HDD that doesn't have the bandwidth to saturate SATA.

Comment

Working...
                      X