SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

Phoronix: SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

The SD 8.0 specification was announced today for SD Express memory cards to allow up to 4GB/s transfer rates by building off the PCIe 4.0 architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's allow an external seemingly harmless device inside the computer bus, what could possible go wrong?
    I will be waiting for root access via SD card vulnerabilities

On the other hand you have cool devices like AI accelerators using SD ports/form factor, could be cool.

Comment

Is SD even relevant these days with eMMC and UFS?
      Maybe only for DSLR cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by workless View Post
        Let's allow an external seemingly harmless device inside the computer bus, what could possible go wrong?
        IOMMU groups are there exactly to prevent a malicious device from doing nasty things outside of its domain. Let's just hope that manufacturers implement those right

Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have an external PCIe bus for cheap, unlike ©Intel Thunderbolt™, which will cost a few hundred $s just to have a single device connected.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Removable storage is always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by klokik View Post

IOMMU groups are there exactly to prevent a malicious device from doing nasty things outside of its domain. Let's just hope that manufacturers implement those right

Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have an external PCIe bus for cheap, unlike ©Intel Thunderbolt™, which will cost a few hundred $s just to have a single device connected.
            Actually, not bad idea,.. PCIe4 x2 eGPU via SD card slot?

Comment

Originally posted by workless View Post

On the other hand you have cool devices like AI accelerators using SD ports/form factor, could be cool.
              FWIW IOMMU generally works nowadays.

Comment

Cheaper phones come with SD card slots to compensate the lack of internal storage. Modern 100-500 Megapixel smart phone cameras will produce gigantic photos, especially RAW files.

Comment

Ugh, anything that is old by 1 second after the new tech comes out is ancient, useless, irrelevant and obsolete to you.

My parents work with SD cards pretty much every day, and I am pretty sure a lot of other people do too.
                  Heck, there are 2020 phones (yeah) with microSD storage.

Comment

These will overheat and throttle like nobody's business.

With the exception of one, every USB3 memory stick I have gives amazing read and writes for <20 seconds, but any sort of sustain for either results in absolutely ludicrous drops in performance. Read speeds are still acceptable - just - but seeing a "90MB/s USB3!" stick (from a reputable flash company) crawling along at <100KB/s is cringe inducing. And they have much larger potential for heatsinks...

I have a Corsair GTR USB2 memory stick which outperforms all my USB3 drives for total filesizes >1GB (whether one big file or hundreds of small ones...)

I use microSD cards all the time - they're extremely useful when I don't want to lug a portable HDD around. And it's quite cool to have one of the 10 or 12 microSD "credit card holder" jobs...

Comment

Working...
                    X