Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

    Phoronix: SD 8.0 Specification To Allow 4GB/s Transfer Rates By Leveraging PCIe 4.0

    The SD 8.0 specification was announced today for SD Express memory cards to allow up to 4GB/s transfer rates by building off the PCIe 4.0 architecture...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-Specifcation

  • #2
    Let's allow an external seemingly harmless device inside the computer bus, what could possible go wrong?
    I will be waiting for root access via SD card vulnerabilities

    On the other hand you have cool devices like AI accelerators using SD ports/form factor, could be cool.

    Comment


    • #3
      Is SD even relevant these days with eMMC and UFS?
      Maybe only for DSLR cameras?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by workless View Post
        Let's allow an external seemingly harmless device inside the computer bus, what could possible go wrong?
        I will be waiting for root access via SD card vulnerabilities
        IOMMU groups are there exactly to prevent a malicious device from doing nasty things outside of its domain. Let's just hope that manufacturers implement those right

        Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have an external PCIe bus for cheap, unlike ©Intel Thunderbolt™, which will cost a few hundred $s just to have a single device connected.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Is SD even relevant these days with eMMC and UFS?
          Maybe only for DSLR cameras?
          Removable storage is always welcome.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by klokik View Post

            IOMMU groups are there exactly to prevent a malicious device from doing nasty things outside of its domain. Let's just hope that manufacturers implement those right

            Otherwise, I'd be more than happy to have an external PCIe bus for cheap, unlike ©Intel Thunderbolt™, which will cost a few hundred $s just to have a single device connected.
            Actually, not bad idea,.. PCIe4 x2 eGPU via SD card slot?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by workless View Post
              Let's allow an external seemingly harmless device inside the computer bus, what could possible go wrong?
              I will be waiting for root access via SD card vulnerabilities

              On the other hand you have cool devices like AI accelerators using SD ports/form factor, could be cool.
              FWIW IOMMU generally works nowadays.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Is SD even relevant these days with eMMC and UFS?
                Maybe only for DSLR cameras?
                Cheaper phones come with SD card slots to compensate the lack of internal storage. Modern 100-500 Megapixel smart phone cameras will produce gigantic photos, especially RAW files.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Is SD even relevant these days with eMMC and UFS?
                  Maybe only for DSLR cameras?
                  Ugh, anything that is old by 1 second after the new tech comes out is ancient, useless, irrelevant and obsolete to you.

                  My parents work with SD cards pretty much every day, and I am pretty sure a lot of other people do too.
                  Heck, there are 2020 phones (yeah) with microSD storage.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    These will overheat and throttle like nobody's business.

                    With the exception of one, every USB3 memory stick I have gives amazing read and writes for <20 seconds, but any sort of sustain for either results in absolutely ludicrous drops in performance. Read speeds are still acceptable - just - but seeing a "90MB/s USB3!" stick (from a reputable flash company) crawling along at <100KB/s is cringe inducing. And they have much larger potential for heatsinks...

                    I have a Corsair GTR USB2 memory stick which outperforms all my USB3 drives for total filesizes >1GB (whether one big file or hundreds of small ones...)

                    I use microSD cards all the time - they're extremely useful when I don't want to lug a portable HDD around. And it's quite cool to have one of the 10 or 12 microSD "credit card holder" jobs...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X