Raspberry Pi Announces The $50 High Quality Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Something horrible here like the sony ones with electronic viewfinder if you turn the electronic view finder off you will get roughly 50 more shots per battery change. So from around 350 to 400 shots.. So even when you have electronic viewfinder on mirrorless cameras does not mean its a wise move to be using it.
    You can see some specs here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3/2

CIPA battery life of 310 to 350 shots with mirrorless. DSLRs go up to 1200.

Comment

Depends on the types of post processing and how it it done. The correction matrixs for len issues and general colour correction can be done rapidly some of your non changeable lens cameras already have this processing onboard does not come at a major power cost.

Screen issue is coming less of a problem as more of the DSLR in fact connect to smart phones and tablets by applications.
      I agree. For most of the auto methods, it's just adding more and more features to their menus. Not gonna complain about more and more features. This isn't GNOME we're talking about.

I agree that has to remain option. Put default option on the auto dial to have processing done by default would basically stop the claims from those making smart phone cameras in track.
      Or maybe even an extra wheel for different custom processing modes/filters since those already exist.

True they are made for different markets and those reviewing phones normally like to skip over the fact that phones don't give them control of the colour correction so can make a photo look like an ass and it lost data due to the first application of colour correction. Yes this is one of the symptoms on phones of the auto apply of post-processing but there is a lot more post processing being applied with sensor and lens correction stuff.
      Some phones actually do, but they're not very common. Some days I get all tin-foil hatty and think those features don't exist on smart phones so people have more of a reason to buy actual cameras.

I would not pay for a phone with a decent camera mount. One of the nightmares is when you place stuff on tripods you have to do this when you have a heavy lens. Lot of DSLR and Mirrorless these days support wifi to andorid/ios phone/tablet for remote control. There are reasons why you cannot put a decent changeable lens on back of phone it is big one that it makes it too large for your general pockets.
      I would, but I think we're imagining two different things. I'm imagining something that doesn't follow the super thin trend since super thin makes it a real bitch to hold a camera (phone) steady as well as something that doesn't follow the "jam it in your pocket" trend. Random shit and pocket is the number 1 destroyer of my phones.

What would be more interest to me is a mirror-less that does not bother having a connected screen. Instead the screen on the back of camera is a docked tablet that you can connect back to the camera by USB cable or by wifi or by pins in mount. Reality here is all those rotate screen around stuff ends up with broken screen cables. This would be nice on tripod work in all areas. Yes some areas are radio noisy and wifi does not work.
      Those telescope camera I was talking about the other day are just that -- mirrorless cameras that hook to a telescope and output to a PC.

Heck just a screen that can take off camera and reconnect to camera by 5m USB cable would be down right handy. Even better if camera vendors could agree on some universal USB control protocol to end the nightmare of needing individual applications per camera..
      https://entangle-photo.org/ By cable to PC or kind of. You have a board like a rasberypi plugged into camera. You you usb/ip to convert this to network then you can cross the room to laptop over wifi. This is one of my setups. If you have full power drive lens you only need to touch the camera to change where it pointing. If you can guess the screen in these setups on the back of the camera is next to useless and might as well be turned off or not there at all once you are using to controlling direction of camera by large screen. Of course I want to be able to-do these setups without needing any custom hardware and possible with fully generic drivers.
      [/QUOTE]

All of that sounds like a new product line and standard that someone needs to come up with. My first thought was GO-TO Telescope tech would be perfect to adapt for this since they already have powered and user controlled mounting setups.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Mirrorless cameras have an electronic viewfinder. It doesn't leak any ambient light so it's perfectly visible in bright sunlight.
        The electronic viewfinder is the problem. Sunglare puts you in a blind shooting situation. A DSLR with a prism and an analog viewfinder help a lot for those situations as well as you can shoot w/o needing the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The electronic viewfinder is the problem. Sunglare puts you in a blind shooting situation. A DSLR with a prism and an analog viewfinder help a lot for those situations as well as you can shoot w/o needing the screen.
          Never had that issue. BTW shooting towards the sun can be dangerous with DSLRs, since the sunlight directly hits your eye. Especially with longer lenses. You're protected if you use the EVF.

Comment

Never had that issue. BTW shooting towards the sun can be dangerous with DSLRs, since the sunlight directly hits your eye. Especially with longer lenses. You're protected if you use the EVF.
            I do not disagree. I have solar filters for my telescope so I can sun watch so I totally get that.

I'm talking about when the sun is to your back or above you and you're hit with that one shitty glare angle so nothing on your screen is viewable. That and the not needing a screen for extra shots it why I prefer having both the optical and digital methods.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              I'm talking about when the sun is to your back or above you and you're hit with that one shitty glare angle so nothing on your screen is viewable. That and the not needing a screen for extra shots it why I prefer having both the optical and digital methods.
              Ok, sounds reasonable.

Comment

Ok, sounds reasonable.
                It's the main reason I'm discussing Pentax instead of Sony or another quality mirrorless brand.

On technical merits and paper, mirrorless is the better choice; though depending on a person's use-case, it isn't. Like, I'd pick mirrorless in a heartbeat for a studio camera whereas I have mixed feelings about using one as my primary out-and-about camera.

Comment

You can see some specs here https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t3/2

CIPA battery life of 310 to 350 shots with mirrorless. DSLRs go up to 1200.
                  I know the sony and cannon mirrorless if they 350 with electronic viewfinder on with 400 with viewfinder off is normal yes that is a camera that the reviews would say only does 350 shots because they normally don't turn the viewfinders off. This is strange but true LED screen on the back of camera uses less power than electronic viewfinders. Yes mirrored cameras you can turn the back screen off so saving a lot more power so getting more shots out the battery. Nokia 500D is in fact a mirrored setup and this is why its showing 1200 shots as possible.

DSLR can be mirror-less or mirrored. Mirrored way more shots with the same sensor by at least a factor of 2 over a mirror-less.. Thinking you are already way behind on the shot count with a mirror-less seams stupid to be getting even worse.

Please note its not just the screen that eat the living heck out the battery life its the fact the sensor has to be kept powered with light on it that is also just eating your battery to death with mirrorless yes that is your worst problem. Electronic Viewfinder is just extra bonus power loss.

Now as Mirrorless is great for video capture because for video capture you cannot use the optical view finder because the mirror has to be up.

Comment

Now as Mirrorless is great for video capture because for video capture you cannot use the optical view finder because the mirror has to be up.
                    Sony actually has a hydrid viewfinder that works when shooting video. My point was, the 300+ shots is perfectly ok for most users, and it's a lot more than what was implied here. Keep in mind, the batteries are smaller, the camera is a lot smaller, and you can add battery grips if you need more power. Huge benefits for many users. Also I think the EVF makes shooting a lot easier in many environments.

Comment

Sony actually has a hydrid viewfinder that works when shooting video. My point was, the 300+ shots is perfectly ok for most users, and it's a lot more than what was implied here. Keep in mind, the batteries are smaller, the camera is a lot smaller, and you can add battery grips if you need more power. Huge benefits for many users. Also I think the EVF makes shooting a lot easier in many environments.
                      Sony in compact cameras is doing the following more and more.

HX99 and WX800 is the same compact mirror-less camera only difference between the two is the HX99 has a electronic view finder and the WX800 does not. No electronic view finder makes the WX800 100 dollars cheaper and have a longer battery life.

300 sounds like alot until you work out at one airshow you are likely to burn though 1000+.

Really using both the HX99 and WX800 you really find that EVF lot of environments makes no difference at all. Having a shroud for what ever you are using as view finder level everything up a lot. Have WX800 with crush able shroud around LCD screen so camera is more distance away from face come important in crowded environments because when bumped your camera does not ram into your face as often.

Its more getting use to using a camera without a view finder when it has a shroud around LCD you hold camera in a slightly different position and the shroud is more bulky because you are like 3-4 inches off back of camera instead of right up against it with a optical or electronic view finder.

I would guess caligula you have never used the LCD back screen of a camera with a shroud once you have you get to know how minor the difference is between the back LCD and EVF in usage as long as both have shrouds. Yes shroud around LCD does prevent people from looking over your shoulder and seeing what pictures you have while you are checking them on the camera as well.

I have a preference to the LCD screen so I am kind of bias the reason why I am bias is that I have to wear glasses I cannot wear contacts. So most cameras I cannot get my eye in the right position to use a view finder properly and most don't have means to set your prescription into view finder(yes that does cause other problems of putting on and taking off glasses).

But I have had a person who does not wear glass compare the setup I use with shrouds on the LCD to the normal view finder options to see if I was at any disadvantage with work. He was the one who had different photos of different work injuries(yes he works pro) cause by someone bumping him while eye was in view finder and different sections of face being hit by camera and pointed out the safety difference but could not find any photo taking advantage or disadvantage to what I use other than improved safety.

So from what know I really don't see that much advantage on EVF. I see them more of habit and not being willing to change a few things not really being assessed on if they are giving a real advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X