Linux 5.8 To Properly Support The RME Babyface Pro High-End Audio Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 To Properly Support The RME Babyface Pro High-End Audio Hardware

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 To Properly Support The RME Babyface Pro High-End Audio Hardware

While a peculiar name for some expensive audio hardware, the Linux 5.8 kernel is set to properly support the RME Babyface Pro and RME Babyface Pro FS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"RME Babyface Pro FS"
    Seriously, who comes up with these silly names? Why not "RME buttchix Neo Super"?

Comment

The *face comes from the fact that this is from their "Interface"-series, which includes other devices like the MADIface or Digiface. The Babyface is their smallest interface-module.

Comment

Originally posted by tg-- View Post
        The *face comes from the fact that this is from their "Interface"-series, which includes other devices like the MADIface or Digiface. The Babyface is their smallest interface-module.
        And "butt" comes from smooth like butter, and "chicks" from beautiful like girls.

Comment

I like how Linux is making progress with advanced audio tools. My USB based DAC with my mixer was plug and play, no fuss no muss.

Sounds better too.

Comment

Pretty cool, however I would not recommend that interface to anyone without a sound treated room and other high-end gear to match it, like a Solid State Logic SiX 6 and some other insanely expensive stuff.

Honestly something like a Focusrite 2i2 or an other brand/model will do most hobbyist sound designer/musicians fine. Low cost interface technology is a lot better than it use to be. The biggest thing to consider is that you have an ok power/filter strip (for your computer and music equipment) to help clean up the background/noise floor, something like a Furman power strip does a lot of cleanup for very little cash and provides quality power.

It's not so much what you have, it's what you do with it—to a notable extent.
            Last edited by creative; 22 April 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Really hope more pro audio interfaces get linux fixes/support. I've got a Lynx interface that is supposed to be a Class compliant USB Audio 2.0 device. Yet it seems someone (far more knowledgeable than I) would need to write code to get around some quirks or setup in order for it to work in linux. Hopefully the day will come.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                "RME Babyface Pro FS"
                Seriously, who comes up with these silly names? Why not "RME buttchix Neo Super"?
                RME SpankMeDaddy 3000

Comment

I have an RME interface that is older, but still works well. I finally had to ditch the PCI interface card for a PCI-e version, hopefully I'll get more life out of it before I need to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by dweigert View Post
                    I have an RME interface that is older, but still works well. I finally had to ditch the PCI interface card for a PCI-e version, hopefully I'll get more life out of it before I need to replace.
                    PCI to PCIe adapters are a thing for old equipment like that (with or without an external case). even the crappiest PCIex1 slot has enough bandwith for a PCI card.

Unless the delay introduced by this conversion is an issue for audio processing, I mean it's nearly theoretical but I never worked with audio equipment so I don't know how much it will care.

Afaik most of the later motherboards with a single PCI slot integrate such conversion chips so it's the same thing, just onboard.

Comment

Working...
                    X