Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linus Torvalds Questions The Not So Glorious Driver For That Funky Looking RGB Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Questions The Not So Glorious Driver For That Funky Looking RGB Mouse

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Questions The Not So Glorious Driver For That Funky Looking RGB Mouse

Last month I noted a new Linux driver for a buggy and funky looking mouse. A special driver was created by a community developer due to not all the mice button working otherwise due to not abiding by HID specifications. Now that the driver was merged for Linux 5.7, Linus Torvalds had words to share on this open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by King Mucus
    Skepticism towards a piece of hardware that looks like a glowing, luminous whorehouse?!?

I call it sexism and toxic behavior. A woke blue-haired tranny would have the humility and general profile necessary to represent the whole of the Linux Community®.
    I think it looks Glorious!

Comment

I submitted a patch to the kernel to support the Corsair GLAIVE RGB mouse some time ago. It had a similar issue where it sent non-compliant HID messages, and under Linux the mouse would not work. The mouse worked fine in the BIOS however, so arguably it's just Linux's HID driver which is a bit too strict.

Comment

That's one ugly mouse for sure .

Comment

LMAO King Mucus spot-on assessment!

Comment

Originally posted by guus View Post
            I submitted a patch to the kernel to support the Corsair GLAIVE RGB mouse some time ago. It had a similar issue where it sent non-compliant HID messages, and under Linux the mouse would not work. The mouse worked fine in the BIOS however, so arguably it's just Linux's HID driver which is a bit too strict.
            Anything not explicitly correct isn't correct in HID messages and will need the extra HID driver shims to use it, just like is used today with hid-corsair and whatever this hid-device is. And any functionality that is default but not correct will needed them. It's more of a question of is this device not behaving to spec? If the answer is no, there's improvements to be made in the core driver. That's what is being talked about, basically.

Comment

I will admit that is one horrifyingly ugly piece of hardware, but I am sure out of the global 7.53 billion people on the planet more than a few have purchased it... sadly.

Anyway if this abomination can help with the Linux HID drivers that would be awesome. I bought a marginally good (at best) Corsair Dark Core RGB a few weeks ago and it is completely gimped outside of basic usage on Linux. As a side note its a generally horrible mouse with crappy battery life and the corsair iQue software is terrible too on windows!

All that said it would be nice to have it workable on Linux. I just this morning bought a Razer Naga to replace this otherwise new mouse because the Naga apparently is much better supported.

USB and Bluetooth ... bringing you universalized pain and suffering built on hopium since the mid 1990s.

Comment

Originally posted by guus View Post
                Arguably, it would ideally be the other way around. If Windows was stricter about not supporting any device that doesn't conform to the standard, the device would actually have been designed to conform. Then any driver that follows the standard would support it properly, without requiring arcane study of exactly in what manner different devices violate the standard.

I'm not too familiar with the USB HID standard, or exactly how different devices violate it. But if the standard is sensible, it's much better for everyone to strictly conform to it.

Comment

Originally posted by ids1024 View Post
                  But if the standard is sensible, it's much better for everyone to strictly conform to it.
                  Or update the specification (it is not a formal standard) as appropriate. There is a process in the USB-IF to update/clarify specifications as appropriate, and it would be glorious if people actually used it rather than making stuff up.

Comment

Effectively we have this: https://xkcd.com/927/

Comment

Working...
                    X