Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6.2 Released With Fix For The IWLWIFI Intel WiFi Driver

Phoronix: Linux 5.6.2 Released With Fix For The IWLWIFI Intel WiFi Driver

Basically a half-week after Linux 5.6 shipped as stable, we are up to the second point release of it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's the spirit! Such reaction time isn't imaginable in Windows world.

Comment

And why not? Nvidia released a hotfix driver in less than 24h to fix their sharpen feature. Also, Intel doesn't break their drivers on Windows all the time. That Intel wifi breakage in 5.5 was really bad and not fixed in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        And why not? Nvidia released a hotfix driver in less than 24h to fix their sharpen feature. Also, Intel doesn't break their drivers on Windows all the time. That Intel wifi breakage in 5.5 was really bad and not fixed in a timely manner.
        But Windows updates break things all the time and they have much slower reaction. Furthermore, recommended solution provided by some winboy was to download updated third party drivers. When Windows breaks Windows should fix. It's such simple. Ps. are you even aware what you wrote? I'm talking about Windows, but you're asking 'why not' and giving nVidia and Intel as examples. Pit-stop mechanics are even faster, but who cares? It took M$ months to fix critical security bug.

Comment

Wifi is overrated and a huge security risk. As is Ethernet. Linux should drop support for them altogether, we should all return to 56k dial up modems. There would be less brain destroying junk to see on the internet then. 5.6.0 was a great step forward for mankind. 5.6.2 is a regression.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            Ps. are you even aware what you wrote?
            Yes, you compared apples to grapes, as Microsoft doesn't administer device drivers. The truth is that Intel's quality testing for Linux is shoddy and their reaction toward obvious breakage is often poor.
            Microsoft having poor QA as well doesn't make this any better. Though Windows has abstraction for drivers, allowing to downgrade them, and also OS updates can be reverted for the meantime.

It's generally nice to have drivers in the kernel's tree. But when the manufacturers or the subsystem maintainers don't care about severe breakage, it can be a PITA. So it was with 5.5 intel wifi breakage.

Comment

I do a lot of support in a heterogeneous environment, and myself run Windows 10 as my main work and home OS. In my opinion, at least in my experience, Windows 10 has gotten really good with stability and updates, and I find it has good usability. It depends of what you are looking to do, but I also tailor it to my needs quite a bit and have my go-to settings and tools that work for me. I dual boot into Linux because I want to do more development stuff. I am not adverse to using it more and more. But that said, I am okay with Windows 10 for the most part, though don't get me started on the phone home and telemetry stuff. I guess I am not super ideological either way, though I try and use as much open source tools that I can, I super appreciate the work and efforts that make these available, and having access to them has helped me grow my own skills incredibly. In fact, no open source, no way I'd be doing the work I do. So yeah, I appreciate it.

Comment

aufkrawall

I'm comparing the same. It seems Windows doesn't care about breaking its third party drivers.

Comment

ehansin After five years it still breaks. Last time it broke a month or two ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    ehansin After five years it still breaks. Last time it broke a month or two ago.
                    Not sure what you are doing, but my experiences have been otherwise. As they say, "your mileage may very." But I don't not believe these have been your experiences.

Comment

Working...
                    X