Linux 5.6.2 Released With Fix For The IWLWIFI Intel WiFi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Not sure what you are doing, but my experiences have been otherwise. As they say, "your mileage may very." But I don't not believe these have been your experiences.
    The problems with Windows 10 breaking are common. I'm using it since two weeks and I experienced different one. It didn't want to install at all. I had to erase entire hard drive and use cmd commands to make it installed. Windows 7 installed just fine on the same box. After few days it slowed down a lot. It wasn't performance demon from the start, but there's just no explanation for such slowdown. The only new autostart application I have is Logitech tool for driving wheels. It's probably some 'updates'.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

The problems with Windows 10 breaking are common. I'm using it since two weeks and I experienced different one. It didn't want to install at all. I had to erase entire hard drive and use cmd commands to make it installed. Windows 7 installed just fine on the same box. After few days it slowed down a lot. It wasn't performance demon from the start, but there's just no explanation for such slowdown. The only new autostart application I have is Logitech tool for driving wheels. It's probably some 'updates'.
      Like I said, l believe you. My experiences have mostly otherwise been different. Don't get me wrong, it is not perfect, and I love Linux being around. It is just that the nature of my work could never really be done exclusively on Linux, where as a lot can be done on Windows. I also think a lot depends on what kind of work you do.

Comment

Sadly, I think I have to agree so far with this post.
        Installed Windows 10 on my laptop, and sound did not work.
        Sound works perfectly out of the box under Linux.

Couldn't even find a driver for it. None of the drivers that are designed for it work.
        And come on, this is HDA-grade hardware. It should be working without any issues.

Wireless didn't work either; had to install a driver for it (I did the same on Linux because the open-source Broadcom driver is sort of broken).
        But at least having rare issues to connect to my network (under Linux) are not as bad as simply not having sound.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 04-02-2020, 10:28 PM.

Comment

aufkrawall

I'm comparing the same. It seems Windows doesn't care about breaking its third party drivers.

Microsoft absolutely does care about 3rd party driver breakage. It reflects poorly on them as a company even if it's not their fault. The problem isn't entirely Microsoft. Yes Microsoft could do a great deal better at communication with outside communities. But, it's the hardware companies that keep using undocumented (and by undocumented, I mean APIs that were never exposed nor intended to be used outside of the Windows teams) APIs that Microsoft never had any obligation to stabilize for outside developers. They are also not responsible for 3rd party developers that are lazy in keeping up with Windows internals that ARE actually documented, and are documented to be changed or deprecated. Microsoft has enough to deal with with their own spaghetti code, they aren't and shouldn't be held responsible for craptastic hardware support from vendors that won't properly support their own products and constantly push out cheap broken products that may or may not be "fixed" with driver workarounds. At this point you could classify a lot of Intel products in the "cheap & broken" category as well, even their flagship CPUs because their hubris is at the point they're literally with toes on the cliff they're going to fall from.

Third party anti-virus companies, game developers, and driver developers are some of the worlds worst at using undocumented APIs then having their software break when Microsoft changes or breaks their functionality. APIs they shouldn't have been using to begin with.

Let's not pretend that Linux and Linux device driver developers are absolute saints here. There's plenty of largely unsupported and unattended code in the millions of lines of it that make up the kernel. But let's not demonize Microsoft for the same thing because the same companies writing Microsoft Windows drivers are sometimes the same ones making Linux drivers with the same philosophy.

I applaud the reverse engineers in the free software community. They often make superior drivers without any of the documentation available to the first party developers from the hardware makers themselves.

Comment

Working...
          X