Apple Firmware Update For Magic Keyboards Decides To Change The Fn Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Firmware Update For Magic Keyboards Decides To Change The Fn Key

Phoronix: Apple Firmware Update For Magic Keyboards Decides To Change The Fn Key

Linux has supported the Apple Magic Keyboards since 2018 handling the Bluetooth connectivity and also needing some special handling for the numeric keypad. While that normally would be the end of the story, recent firmware updates to the Apple Magic Keyboard have caused problems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stop supporting Apple products. Apple doesn't want to support anything outside their ecosystem, so why should anyone support Apple products?

Comment

Originally posted by x4mer View Post
      Stop supporting Apple products. Apple doesn't want to support anything outside their ecosystem, so why should anyone support Apple products?
      This is essentially just another device specific quirk (essentially a one liner) which is not unlike all the other device specific quirks that exist in the kernel for other HID devices. And while I am personally not a fan of the Apple Magic Keyboard, I do not believe I should be able to tell someone else that they cannot like or use the keyboard, nor are they not allowed make the patches to support various firmware variants. You, of course, are free to build your own kernel with your own patches to remove all support for Apple related hardware, so I guess we are both right.
      Last edited by CommunityMember; 16 February 2020, 03:28 AM.

Comment

To be able to use older hardware longer...

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

To be able to use older hardware longer...
          This is exactly what Apple doesnt want. https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

Comment

Speaking of keyboard quirks, I have two Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboards which behave very strangely on only OpenSUSE 15.0's Grub2, where they will not register any keystrokes on the boot menu unless another key is held. Works as expected once booted into the OS proper.

Does not happen on any of my Debian boxes to date.

Anyway, the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard is the best split keyboard I have ever used in a very long time. Really loving those stiff rubber domes; a welcome change from mushy domes found in almost all other rubberdome keyboards, especially from Logitech. And I still hate the feel of mechanical keyboards.

Comment

The Fn key is a solution for a problem that didn't exist, until some idiot(s) thought removing a row from the keyboard was a good thing.

Comment

Don't repair Ford vehicles. Ford doesn't want to repair anything outside of their ecosystem so why should any other mechanic repair Ford vehicles?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Don't repair Ford vehicles. Ford doesn't want to repair anything outside of their ecosystem so why should any other mechanic repair Ford vehicles?

Completely inaccurate. I own a Ford and I can bring it to any mechanic out there, who will be able to provide original or third party spare parts if needed. If I had the ability, time, and place to do the fix myself, I could order the spare parts off the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    The Fn key is a solution for a problem that didn't exist, until some idiot(s) thought removing a row from the keyboard was a good thing.
                    Try telling that to laptop manufacturers where every bit of space is critical.

Comment

Working...
                    X