Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiger Direct Is Horrible / What Is Your Favorite Online Retailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tigerdirect is not that bad, at least in Canada. You get your stuff fast and the price is usually within 1-3% of the best shopbot price. I like NCIX.com too, I am not sure how well it is the US, but in Canada it's usually cheaper, because you pay less taxes (avoid provincial (state) taxes) and you get your stuff on the same week you order, even if its 5000km away. NewEgg is here too, but many peoples seem to hate it. Saying Tiger is crap is usually false, remember that many "feedbacks" are paid for by competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
      remember that many "feedbacks" are paid for by competitors.
      And Michael makes money when you purchase from Newegg using his sponsored links. Tiger Direct is also one of the few places you can buy a PC without an OS, you'd think linux zealots would appreciate that.

Especially with the flaming over cheap MS Office licenses.

Comment

Newegg sucks IMO for three major reasons:

1) They have hardly any details about their products. Looking for something which says it has Linux support? That is basically never in the details. Amazon.com has not only way better details which also mention Linux support, but also has lower prices with some things too. Check both before you buy!

2) Newegg is somewhat evil IMO. What do stores including Newegg do when they run out of an item? They say "sold out", but you can still FIND the listing. Newegg does this all the time. After you search, at the bottom of your search results, they show you grayed-out items which are no longer in stock. However, this is not what happened with my non-Microsoft ASUS EEE PC I bought. I found that Newegg not only had both the Windows and non-Windows versions (stupid fucking "bundling") listed on their site, but the non-Windows version was $50 CHEAPER (as it damn well better be). I bought it, but TWO DAYS after I bought it when I went back to their site, they REMOVED THE LISTING. Completely. The only way I could get back to that listing to see it, and see the proof that the Windows version was $50 more than the non-Windows version, was to use the direct link to the item which I pulled out of the purchase order they emailed to me. I call "evil" on this, as it wasn't natural as I said because normally if things go out of stock they gray them out, not completely kill them (and I don't even know if it DID go out of stock, they could have just purposefully killed it). You know Microsoft swooped in to destroy the non-Windows one, because after that happened there were NO non-Windows versions on Newegg, anywhere, period, and it's extremely rare to find Linux mentioned ANYWHERE on Newegg. It's almost like shopping in a retail store there now, expect Linux to go unmentioned and be unavailable unless you get extremely lucky as I was. Again, Amazon is much more detailed and mentions Linux much more openly.

3) Both Amazon and Newegg sometimes put cheaper-priced items at the near bottom, even if you told it to sort by price. That's plain evil. I haven't seen this recently though, hopefully they've been called out on it.

The joys of working with corporations who only care about the bottom line...

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        And Michael makes money when you purchase from Newegg using his sponsored links. Tiger Direct is also one of the few places you can buy a PC without an OS, you'd think linux zealots would appreciate that.

Especially with the flaming over cheap MS Office licenses.
        I appreciate anyplace that is actually FAIR, and forcing everyone to buy Windows because it is "bundled" is totally unfair and should be fought against. What's even more ridiculous is how they sell box copies of Windows in stores, yet in that same store you can't buy a pre-built without it, so if you aren't computer-savvy and you bought Windows directly because you thought "oh maybe this is good software" or the new release wooed you or whatever, now you're hosed. You ask them to give you the computer without it? They refuse. Now Microsoft has made it so they legally don't have to give you a refund even if you refuse the software/license too, so, U.S.A. = fuck you consumers.

I'll definitely give Tiger Direct another look, but last time it was all the same story for them too. Tiger Direct usually always has a Windows banner on their site and finding non-Windows pre-builts was impossible on there the times that I've checked them.
        Last edited by Yfrwlf; 03 September 2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky I live 20min away from TigerDirect's Naperville outlet,15min from Fry's and 6 min from Microcenter.So it's pretty rare these days I have to e-shop at all.When I do it's usually from Amazon instead of NewEgg mainly because NewEgg's shipping seems to be handled by Gorrillas..last few packages have been really beat up..glad the items were ok shudder to think what a comuter case would have looked like though.

My main gripe with TD is you can't e-shop and simply pick the items up like you can with Fry's and Microcenter..It also states on TD's website that the internet prices may not be the same in their outlet stores which does make it harder to do a quick comparison if you can't afford to wait and need the part quickly.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
          Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            3) Both Amazon and Newegg sometimes put cheaper-priced items at the near bottom, even if you told it to sort by price. That's plain evil.
            Evil is selling a $149 Touchpad for $10,000.00 (with outrageous $6.99 shipping) on the same day HP dropped the price to $99. Amazon's pricing algorithm is screwey, that way.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Evil is selling a $149 Touchpad for $10,000.00 (with outrageous $6.99 shipping) on the same day HP dropped the price to $99. Amazon's pricing algorithm is screwey, that way.
              Lol, maybe more broken than evil, since I highly doubt anyone would buy something that is $100 for $10,000.

Comment

Working...
              X