Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Launches Impressive Line Of Thelio Major Linux Workstations Powered By AMD Ryzen Threadripper - Including The 3990X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    Dang them for stealing my idea of a wooden computer case! I already cut down several oak trees in preparation!

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    cynical I agree. I have yet to use an AIO. I like tower air coolers. The case design is still good, just not a fan of the woody look, everything for the most is great.
    You have to remember some of us really enjoy building our own systems.

I designed mine around lower to mid TDP/silence. There is nothing more obnoxious than hearing loud system noise while gaming or a system that drowns out the noise of your air conditioner.
    Last edited by creative; 08 February 2020, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cynical
    replied
    Water cooling is overrated. Air cooling is great and has fewer things that can go wrong.

Also, the case design is wonderful imo. I like simplicity. I don’t need to see the internals and I don’t want something that lights up like a Christmas tree.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    At that price point it should be watercooled. And I'm not a fan of the case design.
    Partly my own thoughts. Corsair Carbide series for cooling and aesthetics. I have been very spoiled by the Silent 100R. One thing is for sure the system is going to be by far superior than the overpriced powermac garbage aimed for low consciousness hollywood studios.

Some of these systems may eventually make it into independent film production studios.
    Last edited by creative; 08 February 2020, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post

They announced a couple of months ago, they are going to start designing their own laptops. They also put a call out to find out what users needs were.

https://github.com/system76/laptop-suggestions
    Will they unfuck ACPI tables and the UEFI so as not to make them Windows-only? This is the kind of "design" I want to see, first and foremost.

Leave a comment:

• hiryu
    replied

They have to do R&D, then start designing then build, so it will be a few years. Their current machines are all Clevo built laptops. So they can only pick from what Clevo has, by choosing ones they know work well with Linux. If Clevo makes no Ryzen laptops, then no Ryzen options. Many give them flack for using Clevo laptops, so the fact they are going to start doing their own is pretty awesome. We will just have to wait for to finally come.
    I agree, it will be awesome. I hope they take a page from Purim's book and add in hardware switches for controlling the mic, wifi, camera, etc.

I am aware of that they're using Clevo designs (with some tweaks here and there). But it does seem like Clevo has some AMD based laptops, so hopefully for Sys76's next refresh, they'll have AMD offerings.

Leave a comment:

• audi.rs4
    replied
    Originally posted by hiryu View Post

Yeah, but how long ago did they start designing them? If they started around a few months ago, I don't expect to see them for another 1-3 years. But if they're announcing them, maybe they're getting close?
    They have to do R&D, then start designing then build, so it will be a few years. Their current machines are all Clevo built laptops. So they can only pick from what Clevo has, by choosing ones they know work well with Linux. If Clevo makes no Ryzen laptops, then no Ryzen options. Many give them flack for using Clevo laptops, so the fact they are going to start doing their own is pretty awesome. We will just have to wait for to finally come.

Leave a comment:

• hiryu
    replied

They announced a couple of months ago, they are going to start designing their own laptops. They also put a call out to find out what users needs were.

https://github.com/system76/laptop-suggestions
    Yeah, but how long ago did they start designing them? If they started around a few months ago, I don't expect to see them for another 1-3 years. But if they're announcing them, maybe they're getting close?

Leave a comment:

• audi.rs4
    replied
    Originally posted by hiryu View Post
    Other than not being able to see BIOS codes through the side of the case to debug issues... I think I like this case... It's get than original Atari 2600 look, but I think it kinda works for me.

Now when in the hell is Sys76 going to refresh their laptops? I'm hoping they'll be able to offer Ryzen CPU's in their next laptop refresh.

Leave a comment:

• hiryu
    replied
    Other than not being able to see BIOS codes through the side of the case to debug issues... I think I like this case... It's get than original Atari 2600 look, but I think it kinda works for me.

Now when in the hell is Sys76 going to refresh their laptops? I'm hoping they'll be able to offer Ryzen CPU's in their next laptop refresh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X