Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System76 Launches Impressive Line Of Thelio Major Linux Workstations Powered By AMD Ryzen Threadripper - Including The 3990X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Launches Impressive Line Of Thelio Major Linux Workstations Powered By AMD Ryzen Threadripper - Including The 3990X

Phoronix: System76 Launches Impressive Line Of Thelio Major Linux Workstations Powered By AMD Ryzen Threadripper - Including The 3990X

One of the complaints we here most frequently about the Linux-focused PC vendors is that they tend to most often offer just Intel-based hardware. Well, for those wanting a pre-built Linux workstation powered by AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X / 3970X / 3990X, System76 has launched a new line of their Thelio Major desktops powered by these HEDT CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At that price point it should be watercooled. And I'm not a fan of the case design.

Comment

That case..ugh..brings back memories of a Chevy Caprice wagon from the 80s. I don't want / need LEDs all over, but a nice gun metal grey or something would have been fine.

The guts of it look good though. Now let's hope they expand AMD offerings to their "Mini" and laptop lines.

edit: didn't notice that wood trim was only on a bit of it vs. the whole thing, but still..just leave it plain or option to skip that trim.
      Last edited by rhavenn; 07 February 2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

It looks like thermosiphon coolers like Icegiant ProSiphon might put an end to watercooling.

I like that the case doesn't look like a gamer case. I wish it didn't have the graphics printed on the sides, that the power button was more subtle, and that the fan grill wasn't decorated with pine trees. I like Colorado, pine trees and mountains but these design "moves" seem like decoration applied after the design was completed rather than core design ideas. I have no problem with the wood. At least it doesn't have snowboard stickers on it.

Comment

God I (for one) LOVE this case design! Why is it impossible for me to find nice classy cases like this for my own builds? It looks like it was designed by an adult, not a thirteen year old Overwatch pro. This one looks like it actually belongs in the office.

As for liquid vs air cooling, it looks like they custom designed a competent solution. Call me old fashioned, but I can't shake the feeling that water cooling is more complicated than air cooling and that: mo parts = mo problems.

Comment

Iā€™m not sure what you guys are complaining about! It is good to see somebody do a custom case right here in the USA. More so it isn't a knock off of another case. As for the details, mountains and Colorado go together and frankly is good Branding.

nothing about the case would keep me from buying it. The price might but that price is still good for Threadripper based machines.

Comment

At this price I don't want a 4th grade level branding exercise. The amount of graphics and logos is usually inversely proportional to the price. For any given consumer brand, the cheapest items in the product line have the loudest branding, whether it's sneaker, car, shirt, smartphone, or computer. Nevertheless they did a pretty good job and I would seriously consider it despite their insecurity in the design details.

Comment

The first official AMD-powered Linux-based system that I know of.
                Finally, one manufacturer stepped up and did it.
                Hopefully, many others will follow! šŸ‘

Comment

Other than not being able to see BIOS codes through the side of the case to debug issues... I think I like this case... It's get than original Atari 2600 look, but I think it kinda works for me.

Now when in the hell is Sys76 going to refresh their laptops? I'm hoping they'll be able to offer Ryzen CPU's in their next laptop refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    Other than not being able to see BIOS codes through the side of the case to debug issues... I think I like this case... It's get than original Atari 2600 look, but I think it kinda works for me.

Now when in the hell is Sys76 going to refresh their laptops? I'm hoping they'll be able to offer Ryzen CPU's in their next laptop refresh.
                    They announced a couple of months ago, they are going to start designing their own laptops. They also put a call out to find out what users needs were.

Comment

Working...
                    X