Linux In 2020 Can Finally Provide Sane Monitoring Of SATA Drive Temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ropid View Post

I read through the posts in that bug report discussion thread you linked to, and it's explained there. I understand what happened like this:

First, the code was actually implemented, just like a [single/whining/sniviling/crying/pleading] user asked for. After the code was there, no one wanted to test it besides one single person. Because people didn't want to test and ignored it, the code then never had a chance to get ready for inclusion into the kernel. Over time other parts of the kernel changed and the experimental code was not good anymore. The developer then gave up trying to get it ready.
    TFTFY

Comment

Instant blacklist, motherfcker. I've done a hundred times more for open source than most of pathetic open source fanatics here. And you're just despicable.

And that's the reason, gentlemen, Linux has sucked, sucks and will always suck. For other OSes people usually just get work done ,e.g. HWiNFO reports everything on earth, no questions asked.

In Linux we have barely functioning something, barely having 20% of the features which are available in Windows because ... reasons!
      Last edited by birdie; 12 January 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Does HWiNFO really report "everything on earth"? Last I checked some motherboards still need special drivers for sensors to properly work on Windows. The Windows user base interested in such things is far larger too, so "just get the work done" is a bit easier.
        There was the whole drama with the it87 driver some time ago, and it was mostly due to lack of interest/users/testers.

Comment

Does this affect drive performance? I've noticed that reading temps with smartctl slows down I/O significantly. E.g. scrubs might take 3x as long. My SATA3 drives seem to pause all I/O while replying to the smartctl queries.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

You can find hundreds of people to test sensors for a CPU family.
            I think the problem is, there's no user friendly communication interface between sensors developer(s) and ordinary users. Most ordinary users don't know which package & driver provides the temp info. The distros decorate this data with user interfaces and also try to hide the backend implementation to help with confused users. So it's highly unlikely that people talk with the developers. The first I visited lm-sensors pages was when I needed the driver for first gen Zen. That was more than 15 years after I started with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Does HWiNFO really report "everything on earth"? Last I checked some motherboards still need special drivers for sensors to properly work on Windows. The Windows user base interested in such things is far larger too, so "just get the work done" is a bit easier.
              There was the whole drama with the it87 driver some time ago, and it was mostly due to lack of interest/users/testers.
              HWiNFO does not need any "special drivers for sensors". It works right out of the box after you install Windows without installing any drivers whatsoever.

It needs AMD/NVIDIA drivers to monitor GPUs though but it's because NVIDIA and AMD closely guard their HW interfaces and only expose them via their own proprietary APIs.

God, why are there so many stupid open source fanatics here?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Does this affect drive performance? I've noticed that reading temps with smartctl slows down I/O significantly. E.g. scrubs might take 3x as long. My SATA3 drives seem to pause all I/O while replying to the smartctl queries.
                HDD temperature polling does affect its performance. Can't say the same about SSDs because I haven't tested that.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  *raises hand*

Comment

To be honest, he's right, just loading up hwinfo on Windows shows literally every sensor there is on your computer. It is much easier to get rpm readouts, voltages, temperatures on Windows than Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      You can find hundreds of people to test sensors for a CPU family.
                      where were you when he asked for testers?

Comment

Working...
                      X