Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bootlin Wraps Up Feature Development On The Allwinner Cedrus VPU Driver

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bootlin Wraps Up Feature Development On The Allwinner Cedrus VPU Driver

    Phoronix: Bootlin Wraps Up Feature Development On The Allwinner Cedrus VPU Driver

    While the Allwinner VPU "Cedrus" video decode driver is a wonderful success of open-source third-party work expanding Linux's multimedia hardware acceleration capabilities, consulting firm Bootlin who spearheaded this driver is for now at least is ending feature development on this driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-Feature-Over

  • #2
    There is a typo: MPEG-2 / H.264 / H.264 decode. The last one should be H.265.

    Comment


    • #3
      And yet people ask me why I prefer the RPi to all the garbage by Allwinner, Mediatek, Amlogic and friends. Maybe their SoCs have more cores, more GHz, more functional units, but they offer practically zero software support.

      Tried with a Banana Pi M2M. Tried with a NanoPi Air. Problems over problems. The guys at Bootlin and the ones at Armbian are doing a superb job. But there is a limit to what they can do. So you have Armbian on these SoCs, but there is no h264 encoding support, no MIPI CSI support, etc...

      Can you really use these SoCs to do something in the real world? Yet you can do it with a simple RPi Zero.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pabloski View Post
        And yet people ask me why I prefer the RPi to all the garbage
        Originally posted by pabloski View Post
        no MIPI CSI support, etc...

        Can you really use these SoCs to do something in the real world? Yet you can do it with a simple RPi Zero.
        About that... at least the other board vendors do not pull the DRM shit that the RPi Foundation inflicts on their users, preventing others from making clones of the camera module (well used to, until the HMAC key was leaked by @marcan42 on Twitter).

        Plus the non-conforming USB-C issue, and the foundation will not even give a rough timeframe when it's going to be fixed. The competition manages to produce SBCs with perfectly working USB-C, some even with DisplayPort Alternate Mode (RockPro64, Orange Pi 4).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          The competition manages to produce SBCs with perfectly working USB-C, some even with DisplayPort Alternate Mode (RockPro64, Orange Pi 4).
          what's the use for displayport when competition doesn't provide videodriver?

          Comment


          • #6
            PiCamera is a separate product to the RPi.

            There are no competitors to the RPi who properly support OpenSouce. Heck one of the ones you listed (OrangePi) couldn’t even come up with a name that wouldn’t confuse customers as to the manufacturer, for some reason.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              About that... at least the other board vendors do not pull the DRM shit that the RPi Foundation inflicts on their users, preventing others from making clones of the camera module (well used to, until the HMAC key was leaked by @marcan42 on Twitter).

              Plus the non-conforming USB-C issue, and the foundation will not even give a rough timeframe when it's going to be fixed. The competition manages to produce SBCs with perfectly working USB-C, some even with DisplayPort Alternate Mode (RockPro64, Orange Pi 4).
              Yeah but this doesn't justify the deplorable state of affairs in regard to other SBCs. I buy a board and cannot use it to its full extent, because there is no opensource support? And the closed source support is horrible.

              What kind of joke is this? Holy cow, Sinovoip offers Linux images with the ffmpeg binary ( the one with support for their h264 encoder ) just copied in the /bin directory. No fork of repos. Nothing. And obviously you cannot patch the upstream ffmpeg, because maybe you want/need the ffmpeg libraries ( to link with your program ).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                The competition manages to produce SBCs with perfectly working USB-C, some even with DisplayPort Alternate Mode (RockPro64, Orange Pi 4).
                Well, that's kind of an overstatement: the competition produces USB3 with USB-C connectors with unsatisfactory power regulation leading to massive data corruption when connecting some usb3 drives (like an ssd) to the said usb-c. Or the inability to work with usb hubs (butchered usb3 implementation)... Other than that, I'm happy with my sbc!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  what's the use for displayport when competition doesn't provide videodriver?
                  Actually KDE and Mate works pretty well even without accelerated rendering. By the way, DisplayPort via USB-C works even without mali or panforst kernel modules, tested on ROCKPro64.

                  Originally posted by bavay View Post
                  Well, that's kind of an overstatement: the competition produces USB3 with USB-C connectors with unsatisfactory power regulation leading to massive data corruption when connecting some usb3 drives (like an ssd) to the said usb-c. Or the inability to work with usb hubs (butchered usb3 implementation)... Other than that, I'm happy with my sbc!
                  If you talking about this issue, it's seems like solution was found.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    If you talking about this issue, it's seems like solution was found.
                    Well, the said solution is at best just a hacky work around... The power delivery issue remains and every now and then, you end up with extreme filesystem corruption (ie the whole directory and file structure is lost so you can only try to piece together the data you can rescue without knowing which file it belongs to). This is because the controller in the ssd looses power very suddenly (as there is not enough power available so the voltage drops below what it can use) and therefore might leave everything in complete chaos. What this potential patch does, is allow to restart the usb controller (which is already not so bad, because you don't have to reboot the sbc). But if your disk is severely corrupted, this is not enough... I've had several cases where the only viable option was to reformat and restore from a backup. By the way, on my rockpro64, even the pcie <-> sata adapter has voltage regulation problems (it works with one disk but exhibits the exact same failures as soon as more than 1 ssd is connected).

                    On the other hand, it seems that the voltage regulation on the pi4 is much better than for other sbcs...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X