WiFi 6E Opens Up WiFi To 6GHz Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I wonder if 6E will finally make wireless ~4k VR headsets possible? that be neat. (the wires really put me off buying one of those things!)
    Unfortunately no without compression, and I see no hope in a few years.
    4K VR needs two 4K@60FPS, which requires DP 1.3 (~25Gbps), and this is doubled from what WiFi 6 can provide in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
      Wi-Fi is a complicated technology and you really have to invest time into understanding it before you can make sense of these kinds of changes.

Efficiency in Wi-Fi is about airspace. More frequency space = less contention. Faster speed = less time in the air = less contention. So all of the things you said you don't like are actually good for efficiency. You also asked for longer range, that's actually bad for efficiency as the area of a circle is pi*r^2 and you want to make r larger meaning way more circles (around each station) will be overlapping = horrible efficiency. VThe Wi-Fi Alliance article actually covers the reasons for excitement quite well if you read it.

Wi-Fi 6E will probably be the biggest real world impact to Wi-Fi since N came out. Especially since there isn't concern about having to co-exist with legacy wireless standards in this spectrum.
      When I said WiFi efficiency, I'm also referring to the efficiency of WiFi modules in battery powered devices such as mobile phones. It is known that lower frequencies propagate further than higher frequencies, so whilst we may achieve higher data throughput at higher frequencies, the transmission range is reduced and the power consumption in increased.
      I personally prefer improved efficiency and reduced power consumption rather than faster speeds at this point, as a consumer (not a business). I've switched back to 2.4GHz, as I don't get signal in my garden when using 5GHz, and my internet speed isn't fast enough to saturate 2.4GHz WiFi.

Edit: a note that I don't work in wireless engineering, so I may be wrong here...

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        1. Don't worry about that. visible is within 400-800nm, UV is bit below that, say 100-400nm. 6 Gig ihas wavelenght about 5cm and 100Gig is about 3mm, assuming v=c.
        So what ?
        so that to reach uv starting from 6ghz you first have to pass through infrared and visible light
        2. body temperature is is in the range of tens of mEv ( 27 per Wolframalpha). 100nm photon has 12.4 eV. 100G wave has 0,4 mEv. So what ?
        so that 6ghz is lower than body and your body generates about 100 watt (not all of it dissipates via radiation though)
        Phonons are obviously affecting our body differently than UV waveenghts and those are in different class than HF.
        i'm pretty sure you tried to spell photons rather than phonons. photons are photons regardless of wavelength. photons of different wavelengths have different effect, but danger rises with frequency and 6ghz is many orders of magnitude lower than the light you are bathed in
        If they werent radar operators wouldn't suffer negative effects from HF radiation and there would be no security requirements, outside of obvious ones ( ie what doesn't cook you, can't harm you).
        ok, so while at school, you have to also learn what effect inverse-square law has on radar power (all while keeping in mind your body's own 100 watt)

Comment

Originally posted by Deltabeard View Post
          It is the year 2050. WiFi 120 has just been released allowing for ultra-high performance at 120GHz frequency. It only has a transmission range of 2cm, but look at how fast Facebook loads! You can download a HD movie in 0.25s! Wow!

There should be more effort in improving the efficiency and range of the existing technology, but unfortunately faster speeds sounds better in marketing.
          We already had WiFi 60GHz for a while. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ad

NETGEAR’s WiFi routers give you fast & flawless internet connectivity at a great price. Browse our wide selection of WiFi 6, gigabit and tri-band routers.
          Last edited by S.Pam; 05 January 2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            you mean danger of light? go back to school
            No, danger of electromagnetic radiation. Better put your head into microwave.

Comment

Considering how my phones can barely get any signal from a 5GHz access point one room away, and Linux's WiFi drivers are atrocious to the point that signal strength is always about 60% of what the same hardware can get in the same location on Windows...

Nope, not looking forward to it at all. If anything, this might finally be the push that makes me return to Windows.

Comment

I could see this being very useful for stuff like VR headsets, but, not much else.

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                No, danger of electromagnetic radiation. Better put your head into microwave.
                Light is electromagnetic radiation... So are microwaves. A 6GHz radio is also in the microwave range.

People need to learn what ionizing radiation is. Wifi 6e is safe.

Comment

i'm pretty sure you tried to spell photons rather than phonons. photons are photons regardless of wavelength.
                  YOu seem to be overconfident. You are pretty sure about many things.

I meant phonons. You compared energy of microwave photon to a thermal energies around human body temperatures, which are transmitted through the solid matter by phonons.

Comment

ok, so while at school, you have to also learn what effect inverse-square law has on radar power (all while keeping in mind your body's own 100 watt)
                    Why ? Kinetice energy of a typical bullet fired is around 300-ish J. Kinetic energy of a sample f cyanide might be 0 and it still could kill you more effectively.
                    Why ? Because it acts through different mechanism.

Same with photons. Longer wavelenths might affect you through differnet mechanisms.

For example, short ones work mostly on impact. Longer tend to penetrate through the body.
                    With UV, dominant partcould be photon energy, which might be enough to break a particular bond.

Longer wavelenghts might be able to resonate particular structures, like DNA hellicoid etc and cause the damage through resonance, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Light is electromagnetic radiation... So are microwaves. A 6GHz radio is also in the microwave range.

People need to learn what ionizing radiation is. Wifi 6e is safe.
                      No, it's not safe. 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz aren't safe either (2.4Ghz may be even worse). They're causing sleep disturbance and cancer in the long run (depends how much you are exposed). There's a simple test everyone can do. Turn on your WiFi router to 100% (or even less, but it may be less noticable) power and sleep within same room for a month. If you already doing this turn it of. You'll see the big difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X