Cavium Octeon's Ethernet Driver Being Booted From Linux 5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato, Sveasoft.......you could probably write a song based on the 12 days of Christmas just with all of the "WRT" spins.
    DD-WRT is unrelated (they signed NDAs and use proprietary drivers)
    Tomato and Sveasoft are custom GUIs over vendor code drops for specific devices, similar to MerlinWRT (a customization of AsusWRT firmware which is the stock firmware for Asus devices).

Actual OpenWrt derivatives are Gargoyle, Rooter, Pandora (chinese respin with proprietary Mediatek drivers, most likely illegal), plus Freifunk and a bunch of german wifi mesh projects/ISPs/whatever, and Gl.Inet router manufacturer stock firmware (that adds their own web interface on top but ships also the default OpenWrt web interface as "advanced" options, and the Turris Omnia firmware. Plus a bunch of others minor ones and custom hacks.

Also worthy of note is that Entware extension package repositories for routers (the successor of "optware") is also using OpenWrt build system and packages https://github.com/Entware/Entware

OpenWrt is more or less the Debian of the router firmware world.

If memory serves wasn't Cavium Octeon big in 1st gen security routers from Netgear, Zytel and Sonic Wall?
    Yeah it was used in firewall appliances, but as I said OpenWrt never supported many Octeon systems to begin with, see the hardware table: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ex...%5BCPU*%7E%5D=

As someone said above, anyone using Octeons uses the hardware vendor's SDK which is some ancient hacked Linux kernel and base OS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      more bs, -2 article reading
      How many patches you have in the kernel?

Comment

What hardware supported by OpenWRT use this driver?

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
          How many patches you have in the kernel?
          random attacks, -1 reading skills

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            What hardware supported by OpenWRT use this driver?
            The list of Octeon SoCs supported by OpenWrt is here https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ex...%5BCPU*%7E%5D=
            I don't know if they need this driver or not (they probably do as this is the ethernet controller in the Octeon SoC), but as you see it's 4 boards from Gateworks and one firewall appliance from Ubiquity.

Comment

random attacks, -1 reading skills
              Thanks for the answer. 0.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. 0.
                Reading comprehension skills are more important than patches contributed to Linux, so I'm still better than you kiddo.

(hint: read the other posts of mine and understand why what the guy posted is wrong or irrelevant in this case)

Comment

The list of Octeon SoCs supported by OpenWrt is here https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_ex...%5BCPU*%7E%5D=
                  I don't know if they need this driver or not (they probably do as this is the ethernet controller in the Octeon SoC), but as you see it's 4 boards from Gateworks and one firewall appliance from Ubiquity.
                  I see, so practically only Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite owners who use OpenWRT get hit by CN3XXX/CN5XXX driver drop.

Comment

Reading comprehension skills are more important than patches contributed to Linux, so I'm still better than you kiddo.

(hint: read the other posts of mine and understand why what the guy posted is wrong or irrelevant in this case)
                    I know your blanket bullshit statements are wrong, no need to search anything.

Comment

I know your blanket bullshit statements are wrong, no need to search anything.
                      Thanks for proving my point that your reading skills are lacking.

Comment

Working...
                      X