No announcement yet.

GKraken Makes It Incredibly Easy To Manage NZXT Water Cooling Setups On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GKraken Makes It Incredibly Easy To Manage NZXT Water Cooling Setups On Linux

Phoronix: GKraken Makes It Incredibly Easy To Manage NZXT Water Cooling Setups On Linux

With most all-in-one water cooling setups I am used to seeing no Linux support at all either from the vendor themselves or any third-party/community reverse-engineered support, but in the case of the NZXT Kraken X series with the independent GKraken open-source software is easily the best experience I've had to date in managing water cooling setups from the Linux desktop...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nux-Water-Cool

hrm, being that these are all asetek rebrands underneath - I wonder if we can add some USB ids and get the corsair AIO's going too

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      hrm, being that these are all asetek rebrands underneath - I wonder if we can add some USB ids and get the corsair AIO's going too
      I just looked at the code... gkraken is using the liquidctl python module to access the cooler. in liquidctl there is a find_liquidctl_devices function that gkraken could call to support other devices. liquidctl supports the asetek gen5 coolers, but not the gen 6 coolers like the 150i (which I have). There is another utility that works with the 150i (opencorsairlink), so liquidctl could be extended by pulling in the pertinent pieces from opencorsairlink to support gen 6 coolers.

I'm going to play around with this a bit in the next few days.

Comment

I hope they have no issues with naming from GitKraken.

Comment

The unsung hero of linux water cooling. OpenCorsairLink is another, but it's hit or miss.

Comment

Ironic, I just built a rig with the X52, this program is great!
            Main System: Thinkpad E585, Ryzen PRO 2700U, Vega 10 GPU, 32GB RAM, 500gb SSD, Fedora KDE Workstation
            Server: Gigabyte Brix i7H-5500, i7 5500u, 16gb RAM, Fedora Server

Comment

How loud is the NZXT Kraken series? How does its noise compare to a high-end air cooler, like a Noctua U9S?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                How loud is the NZXT Kraken series? How does its noise compare to a high-end air cooler, like a Noctua U9S?
                Mine is pretty quiet. Noctua is going to be king of silence though. I use liquidctl to configure my Kraken X52 and it supports lighting controls.
                Gkraken is built using the liquidctl library, so the lighting controls "coming soon" seems plausible.

Comment

Working...
                X