Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe Gen4 Linux Benchmarks Against Other SATA/NVMe SSDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe Gen4 Linux Benchmarks Against Other SATA/NVMe SSDs

Phoronix: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe Gen4 Linux Benchmarks Against Other SATA/NVMe SSDs

When it comes to PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, the drives we have been using are the Corsair Force MP600 that have been working out great for pairing with the newest AMD Ryzen systems. But a Black Friday deal had the Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 SSD on sale, so I decided to pick one up to see how it was performing on Ubuntu Linux. Here are benchmarks of the Sabrent Gen4 NVMe SSD, which in the 1TB capacity can be found for $150~170 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There were not any Linux compatibility issues with the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD, which would be a rare cnounter. The drive was working out fine on Ubuntu 19.10 and other recent Linux distributions on modern kernel releases.

Comment

There were not any Linux compatibility issues with the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe SSD, which would be a rare encounter.
      Oh is Sabrent supporting firmware updates on non-Windows operating systems now? Last I checked they'll tell you they don't support Linux.

I get this is sponsored content, but it's a disservice to tell users there's no compatibility issues when in reality they'll need Windows if they run into a firmware bug that has a fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
        Oh is Sabrent supporting firmware updates on non-Windows operating systems now? Last I checked they'll tell you they don't support Linux.

I get this is sponsored content, but it's a disservice to tell users there's no compatibility issues when in reality they'll need Windows if they run into a firmware bug that has a fix.
        I think he was referring to the detection, boot and install compatibility, which was an issue for some NVMe drives used previously.

I don't think it was sponsored. Michael bought the Sabrent on the open market just like you and me. Did you read the review?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I think he was referring to the detection, boot and install compatibility, which was an issue for some NVMe drives used previously.
          Right, but there's more to compatibility than that, which is why I am saying the omission of firmware update support hurts the review. Did you read my post?

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          I don't think it was sponsored. Michael bought the Sabrent on the open market just like you and me. Did you read the review?
          Yes I did read the review, and the first page reads like an advertisement for the product.

Comment

FWIW, I have a PCI-e 3.0 Sabrent Rocket (512 GB) and there are no firmware updates available for it, nor does it seem to have any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
              Right, but there's more to compatibility than that, which is why I am saying the omission of firmware update support hurts the review. Did you read my post?

Yes I did read the review, and the first page reads like an advertisement for the product.
              Awesome. You read the review and I read your post. The world is back in balance.

Comment

Phison PS5016-E16 controller and Toshiba BiCS4 96-layer TLC NAND. Looks great, but if I can't update the firmware on that thing, it ain't happening. These hardware vendors need to grow the F up. It's not a windows world anymore.

Comment

Can't the NVME cli tools be used to update FW on NVMe drives now? I swear I've done it at least once.

Comment

In the future please include journal iops, parallel iops, non-txn random and linear write results by running commands from lines 63-72 of this documents (run both sync and fsync variants, take lower number as test result; fio is destructive test) which would show how this SSD would perform under ceph-osd. More details is here (use Google Translate).

Also I need to point out that NVME SSD based on Toshiba NAND for some reason doesn't work on NanoPC-T4 (more info is here) or possibly on all RK3399-based boards.

Comment

Working...
                    X