Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google To Require "Designed For Chromebook" Devices Support Fwupd Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uid313
    replied
    This is amazing.
    I just wish more COTS motherboards supported it. Like common AMD and Intel boards from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Don't say things like that, you'll make Mark Shuttleworth cry.
    wasnt he already far cry in space?

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    it has the backing of the most successful Linux company in the world (Red Hat) which is now owned by IBM.
    Don't say things like that, you'll make Mark Shuttleworth cry.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    144Hz I know Red Hat is supporting the main Gnome developer. I'm a Gnome fan boy. Planet Gnome and Planet Fedora are two of my many daily go-to blogs. I rejoiced when Ubuntu dropped Unity and went with Gnome and are now rapidly improving it along with Red Hat.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    That's pretty cool, though, gets me to wonder if that might just push manufacturers to not get the label, or just use Windows instead.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Just shut your gnomehole already.
    I imagine this is 144Hz's reaction:

(picture of a pants-down gnome showing the middle finger)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 18 November 2019, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    the need for hardware access, understanding of device versioning, and otherrequirements.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    This just makes me happy..happy..happy! And, although LVFS as a project has been developing for quite some time, the combined announcement of Google making this a requirement AND it has the backing of the most successful Linux company in the world (Red Hat) which is now owned by IBM, just seals the deal. Its's been a long, slow, sometimes hard struggle. But the pieces continue to fall into place for Linux to become a legitimate desktop alternative to Windows or Mac based computing for the 99% of users who will never geek, phreak or hack but just want a platform to use that is freedom based, easy to use and maintain, and secure and stable.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    You go GNOMEr. Battle of Firmware won.

Rejoice and regroup. GNOME will take on Patent trolls.
    Yeah, and I'm the one constantly going off topic...

Just shut your gnomehole already.

Leave a comment:

• Google To Require "Designed For Chromebook" Devices Support Fwupd Firmware Updates

Phoronix: Google To Require "Designed For Chromebook" Devices Support Fwupd Firmware Updates

Beginning at the start of the year it looks like Google will be requiring hardware vendors to support firmware updating on Linux via Fwupd with the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) if they wish to carry the "Designed For Chromebook" label...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X