Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google To Require "Designed For Chromebook" Devices Support Fwupd Firmware Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Hughes about the NDAs, they're annoying. Companies' legal teams be crazy.

Comment

Brilliant, this will work out well for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        That's pretty cool, though, gets me to wonder if that might just push manufacturers to not get the label, or just use Windows instead.
        i'm sure neither you nor me will suffer from vendors not getting label. but according to blog dozens of vendors are trying to get label in panic.
        "designed for chromebooks" means device which you can use with chromebook.
        Last edited by pal666; 18 November 2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

this is huge
          and i like his fedora only stance

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            I agree with Hughes about the NDAs, they're annoying.
            Not just that, but since Hughes works for an organization under their own legal framework, he could not sign NDAs without his companies lawyers reviewing it. and then likely negotiating with the other company to come to acceptable terms. Except in the most trivial cases that can take months (and that is often an optimistic time-frame). There are cases where an NDA is a necessary part of the engagement, but no one should presume that that will not have different implications.

Comment

Good Guy Google.

They are using the good old iron fist to force the hardware manufacturers to stop acting like a herd of cats, like Microsoft did back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                This is amazing.
                I just wish more COTS motherboards supported it. Like common AMD and Intel boards from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, etc.
                Yes ...(asus) I hate to manually boot into bios/uefi which is IMHO overloaded with OC-RPG-Kids design and maneuver through that crap and do everything manual since I know that it can be done just by one commandline

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  this is huge
                  and i like his fedora only stance
                  Agreed. Fedora and Arch imho are the best distributions when it comes to development, a lot of the upstream GNOME developers use them.

Comment

Not Supermicro, @Supermicro they do not give a toss about 'modern' |& 'linux' nor fwupd. But!.... luckily they do not do chromebooks neither.

Comment

Working...
                    X