Pre-Loaded Linux PCs Continue Increasing - TUXEDO Computers Sets Up New Offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    skeevy420 The vendors just shuffle some color palettes, adds a few extensions and launchers to the GNOME session, new background, change trade marks and repos. Done.

No need for multidesktopism when you can differentiate anyway.
    Quit this bs, this is just like with Android. The OEM is profiting from hardware sales, they have no real reason to do more than cosmetic changes to make it look different.

If you are actually making a distro things change. You want to cater to multiple kinds of people, the Standard Linux Desktop is not flexible enough for all Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That just made me wonder -- How come Ubuntu (or any other distribution) doesn't have a more public facing vendor partnership program? Does every single vendor need and require yet another fork?
      That's a damn good point. Mark Shuttleworth has his head shoved so far up every cloud's asshole, he can't see the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post

That's a damn good point. Mark Shuttleworth has his head shoved so far up every cloud's asshole, he can't see the ground.
        How dare they prioritize what actually nets them some money instead than doing niche stuff that may or may not even matter.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

You can always replace the OS with another distro well in the knowledge that the hardware is well supported by Linux.
          Since when did hardware shipping with Linux have anything to do with how well it is supported by Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post

Since when did hardware shipping with Linux have anything to do with how well it is supported by Linux?
            That's not what he said. He said that stuff they sell is well supported. (which may be right or not)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              That's not what he said. He said that stuff they sell is well supported. (which may be right or not)
              And how would he have found that out?

Did he buy one?

Comment

starshipeleven There’s no bs here. Reskinned Ubuntus are the easiest and cheapest way to offer a supported desktop.
                Reskinned ANYTHING are the easiest and cheapest way of offering a supported desktop

They also offer OpenSUSE https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/TUXEDO-WebFAI.tuxedo
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 November 2019, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
                  And how would he have found that out?
                  Don't know.

Tuxedo does hint at the fact that they are testing things and selecting the ones that work best
                  Linux Hardware, Notebooks, Computer und mehr. Individuell in Deutschland gefertigt, vollständig Linux tauglich, Windows natürlich auch

https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/L...ardware.tuxedo

And in general other Linux prebuilt PC companies like Purism have their own UEFI firmware where they enable or disable things (settings not available to the user) like for example Purism is shipping Intel ME disabled.
                  Tuxedo seems to have performance profiles in UEFI https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/I...rofiles.tuxedo and a custom fan control application that is talking to the laptop's EC (embedded controller), that is not a common thing for a modern laptop afaik.
                  They also have a custom UEFI interface I've not seen in other laptops (yes it's still a vendor UEFI from Insyde, you can't do without for a commercial product), https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/I...BIOS-EC.tuxedo

and they say you can also "disable" Intel ME in their firmware https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/I...-Engine.tuxedo

Disable to the extent that is possible to disable anyway.

Again this is NOT standard for most laptops.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 November 2019, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Tuxedo_os is Ubuntu and GNOME based. Like most OEM OSs these days.
                    Your comment seems to imply, that this is the only option and there might probably be problems with everything else. But I just bought a Tuxedo Notebook preloaded with opensuse LEAP 15.1 for my dad, so this definitely not true. Everything works OOTB, but that should not be worth mentioning ;-)

Preinstalled they offer their Tuxedo_os respin of Ubuntu, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE Leap, both either with or without full disk enycryption. Chances are really good, that you can easily install $REPO of your choice, because the hardware is chosen to be supported by Linux upstream.

So lots of the comments here like the above seem to be written using some undeserved negative spin, which is a pity.

Comment

I have two laptops from them, one for me and one for my wife. She wanted to buy an Apple so I got her a Tux that looked like an Apple and had about the same specs. Hers came with Xubuntu, mine has Ubuntu Budgie. What is modified is HidPi support and and install script that does all the necessary installation for you.

So they basically aim to reach non-Linux people and make their entry experience as easy as possible. Their support is outstanding, they are always open for prolonged email talks.

Comment

Working...
                      X