Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amlogic Video Decode Driver Nearly Ready With H.264 Support

Phoronix: Amlogic Video Decode Driver Nearly Ready With H.264 Support

The in-kernel staging Amlogic Meson video decode driver could soon handle H.264 support as soon as Linux 5.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'll be pretty awesome when one day we can get a set top box and just have the stock kernel powering it!

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      It'll be pretty awesome when one day we can get a set top box and just have the stock kernel powering it!
      Didn't RPi deliver this years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

No. The Rpi isn't a set top box to start with--it lacks IR and local storage (SATA).

Comment

The real goal for Amlogic is H.265 10-bit decode mainline kernel support, but I guess we have to wait at least a year before we get feature-full blob-free LibreELEC Amlogic builds. Thanks to Maxime for his great work!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Amlogic just happen to be the chipset supplier of choice for a lot STB manufacturers. Understandably too, their stuff works quite well.

But we thousands of these things at a time

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              Amlogic just happen to be the chipset supplier of choice for a lot STB manufacturers. Understandably too, their stuff works quite well.
              But we thousands of these things at a time
              they have nice socks..
              but this type os socks are for more processing demand workloads..

But for video/audio, I rater go with Allwiner H6, or even a A20..

Comment

I have to be honest, I don't see any reason why this should be in the kernel. What is wrong with libx264/5 or Cisco's thing?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  I have to be honest, I don't see any reason why this should be in the kernel. What is wrong with libx264/5 or Cisco's thing?
                  It's a driver for hardware decoder used by Amlogic SoCs. There's no codec implementation included. It just passes bits to a chip and get other bits back.

Comment

Originally posted by simburde View Post

It's a driver for hardware decoder used by Amlogic SoCs. There's no codec implementation included. It just passes bits to a chip and get other bits back.
                    Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
                    X