Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fwupd Gaining Support For Synaptics/Conexant CX Audio Firmware Updating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fwupd Gaining Support For Synaptics/Conexant CX Audio Firmware Updating

    Phoronix: Fwupd Gaining Support For Synaptics/Conexant CX Audio Firmware Updating

    Fwupd is gaining the ability to update firmware on Synaptics/Conexant CX audio devices commonly used by laptops...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ptics-Conexant

  • #2
    I never knew Synaptics made sound chips? I only remember them for their touchpads?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Hughes reworked the 22k lines of standalone C++ code for CX firmware updating into a just over one thousand lines of code <...> while making it easily extensible
      Open-source software in a nutshell.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I never knew Synaptics made sound chips? I only remember them for their touchpads?
        Synaptics bought out Conexant like a year or two back.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Pretty ironic. GNOME developer to untangle hairy c++ code.
          Last edited by 144Hz; 09-26-2019, 09:17 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            I never knew Synaptics made sound chips? I only remember them for their touchpads?
            They bought Conexant in 2017. They make sound chips, but it's low-end crap, similar to Realtek.

            Very common in HP laptops, among others.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by intelfx View Post

              Open-source software in a nutshell.
              He turned a standalone updater application from a code drop into a fwupd plugin. It's kind of expected to reduce its size dramatically, most of the functionality is already provided by fwupd codebase.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                He turned a standalone updater application from a code drop into a fwupd plugin. It's kind of expected to reduce its size dramatically, most of the functionality is already provided by fwupd codebase.
                That’s exactly the point I’m making. Rewriting proprietary blobs and code drops, turning them into modularized, efficient, generic code is very characteristic of community-led open-source software projects.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                  That’s exactly the point I’m making. Rewriting proprietary blobs and code drops, turning them into modularized, efficient, generic code is very characteristic of community-led open-source software projects.
                  no, to make this point you need to add size of dependencies. self contained 20k vs of plugin 1k + fwupd ?k + glib ?k etc

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    They bought Conexant in 2017. They make sound chips, but it's low-end crap, similar to Realtek.

                    Very common in HP laptops, among others.
                    Wait so this means my chip is crap too? It doesn't seem to be the case except for a very faint thermal noise that I somehow can hear.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X