Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.4 To Support NVMe-of P2P Support With Compatible Systems

Phoronix: Linux 5.4 To Support NVMe-of P2P Support With Compatible Systems

Sent in and already landed on Monday were the PCI changes for Linux 5.4 and includes an interesting feature addition...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CI-NVMe-OF-P2P

Does it translate into a better IO experience on whitlisted platforms with NVMe devices?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Does it translate into a better IO experience on whitlisted platforms with NVMe devices?
      This is only relevant for peer-to-peer devices, so no benefit if say just having an NVMe device on your system.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

This is only relevant for peer-to-peer devices, so no benefit if say just having an NVMe device on your system.
        Thanks, I had the impression that this could potentially improve the GPU to NVMe SSD communication (withouth the roundtrip to the CPU).

Comment

Although I definitely see the benefits of this, seems to me this is going to be a gargantuan security exploit down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Although I definitely see the benefits of this, seems to me this is going to be a gargantuan security exploit down the road.
            What are you saying? It'll be just fine!

Comment

It'd be interesting to see TLS offload in NICs, so that you could go a step further than sendfile: just tell the NVMe controller to stream some data to your NIC when you want to serve a static file.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

What are you saying? It'll be just fine!
                Intel is out of their fucking minds as usual.

How can basically allowing DMA to a CPU cache without any sort of IOMMU be anywhere near sane from a security standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Intel is out of their fucking minds as usual.

How can basically allowing DMA to a CPU cache without any sort of IOMMU be anywhere near sane from a security standpoint.
                  But it's really, really fast!

Comment

Working...
                  X