Linux 5.4 Kernel Adds Driver For The Mysterious Pensando Ionic Network Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

I don't think anyone expects anything positive from me. I'm also in no obligation of fulfilling whatever expectations people have about me overall.

As for abott, I don't think he has any human interaction outside of here. I'm just being nice to him and his condition.

My current employment has me interacting socially with people all day, I'm not an incel like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post

My current employment has me interacting socially with people all day, I'm not an incel like yourself.
      People in your head don't count.

Comment

I don't think anyone expects anything positive from me. I'm also in no obligation of fulfilling whatever expectations people have about me overall.

As for abott, I don't think he has any human interaction outside of here. I'm just being nice to him and his condition.
        To the extent you guys care about these forums, I suggest you might consider:
        1. your credibility.
        2. the rest of us, and our ability to conduct worthwhile discourse on these forums.
        If you don't care about either of those, then perhaps this isn't the right place for whatever it is you're after.

That said, I'm aware that I have no authority in this situation. I'm just trying to stage some useful interference, in case one of you would care to disengage.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          To the extent you guys care about these forums, I suggest you might consider:
          1. your credibility.
          2. the rest of us, and our ability to conduct worthwhile discourse on these forums.
          If you don't care about either of those, then perhaps this isn't the right place for whatever it is you're after.

That said, I'm aware that I have no authority in this situation. I'm just trying to stage some useful interference, in case one of you would care to disengage.
          I suppose you're old enough to remember the rules of the internet and how they mock the fact you can't tell truth from falsehood on a medium that accepts everything.

If "worthwhile discourse" is what you're after, Phoronix is also not for you--unless you're more opinionated than you are knowledgeable, in which case welcome home and enjoy your stay.

Comment

I suppose you're old enough to remember the rules of the internet and how they mock the fact you can't tell truth from falsehood on a medium that accepts everything.

If "worthwhile discourse" is what you're after, Phoronix is also not for you--unless you're more opinionated than you are knowledgeable, in which case welcome home and enjoy your stay.
            I find these both to be very absolutist views, where I think both are more a matter of degree.

Furthermore, if you accept that the internet's lack of a filter/editor complicates the task of discerning information quality, then it only serves to underscore the role of reputation & credibility.

As for the second point, I have found many Phoronix forum comments and discussions worthwhile. If they were pure noise, I wouldn't read them. In fact, I often don't bother to read some of the noiser threads. The problem with spamming comment threads is that signal and noise aren't merely additive - the noise actually dissuades participation of more knowledgeable and serious commenters. So, the signal-to-noise ratio becomes lopsided very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had actually quantified a SNR tipping point, in comment threads.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Furthermore, if you accept that the internet's lack of a filter/editor complicates the task of discerning information quality, then it only serves to underscore the role of reputation & credibility.
              You don't get it, do you? On the internet, everything, absolutely everything, can be faked, including reputation and credibility.

Anyway, we're back to my initial post. I already said don't care and I'm not responsible for whatever the fuck people choose to believe. Whoever chooses to engage in "worthwhile discourse" do so at their own risk.

Comment

You don't get it, do you? On the internet, everything, absolutely everything, can be faked, including reputation and credibility.
                Again, you argue against degree and towards absolutism. I don't buy it. This seems to be an irreconcilable difference.

I already said don't care and I'm not responsible for whatever the fuck people choose to believe. Whoever chooses to engage in "worthwhile discourse" do so at their own risk.
                Fortunately, you don't have to. That's why there are mods (though sleepy ones, it seems). If you disregard others' interests and abuse your privileges, you might lose them (just to state the hopefully obvious).

Comment

Working...
                X