X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Compulab View Post
    The comparison between the Skull Canyon NUC and old Airtop underlines an important property of fanless cooling - it does not worsen over time.
    Good point. And no worry of pesky dust filters to clean.

Leave a comment:

• Compulab
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Man, you need to check that NUC. Either it's clogged with dust or its fan stopped or something.
    The comparison between the Skull Canyon NUC and old Airtop underlines an important property of fanless cooling - it does not worsen over time.

Phoronix has both the Airtop1 and NUC since 2016 -
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3 years later NUC appears to be overheating while Airtop1 does not overheat (and has no filters to clean).

Just my 2c.

Best regards,
    Irad Stavi
    Compulab

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I totally agree. I had a laptop a few years ago, and cleaning it up inside was a real pain. I broke it in the second attempt in 2016.
    I stop at just poking a "can of air" nozzle around all of the external vents, and blasting into it from all angles. Could bring new meaning to the term "airtop"!
    ; )

Funny thing: I've never seen a laptop with externally-accessible, removable air filters...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Heck, I do that on laptops too where it's an entirely different level of sadism to get to the fan assembly.
    I totally agree. I had a laptop a few years ago, and cleaning it up inside was a real pain. I broke it in the second attempt in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Man, you need to check that NUC. Either it's clogged with dust or its fan stopped or something.

If nothing else, check the BIOS and make sure the fan control policy is not set to "quiet" mode or something.

Plus, it would've been nice to compare it to a conventionally-cooled PC of comparable specs. It would let people know how much performance they're potentially giving up, by going fanless.
    I concur. If the "skylake NUC" is this device https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...lnuc-pre&num=1 where there is indeed a fan amd it's easily accessible I would at least check fan spin and clean up the area between the fan and the heatsink (which is where most garbage collects).

Heck, I do that on laptops too where it's an entirely different level of sadism to get to the fan assembly.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    It is a miracle that his NUC hasn't died despite reaching (and most likely surpassing) that temperature.
    Regardless of the theoreticals, Tjunction is not instant-kill temp.

It is "will probably not last more than a few weeks of continuous use at this temp" temp.

If a device reaches those temps in a normal environment, it's safe to assume that it was not designed for 24/7 full load in mind. For example most Apple hardware.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon
    It is less a problem how much perf some will loses, but how much is possible to sustain big temperatures for longer period of time if components are not of very top notch quality

Perf i guess maybe 0-15% if not throttling, but lifetime of components sounds like will last for a lot less
    I'm not sure about that. I'd say look at the temperature data. If the temperatures stay within Intel's spec, then you should expect it to last at least their warranty period. Also, look at Compulab's own warranty term.

While the spikes in Blender are a bit disconcerting, I don't know if that's actually violating Intel's spec.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    (Skylake NUC)

If nothing else, check the BIOS and make sure the fan control policy is not set to "quiet" mode or something.

Plus, it would've been nice to compare it to a conventionally-cooled PC of comparable specs. It would let people know how much performance they're potentially giving up, by going fanless.
    Last edited by coder; 10 September 2019, 12:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Very cool, they seem to have increased power dissipation more than 50% over the last generation, while dramatically reducing maximum temperature. I'd love to see these folks put together an ECC-ready Ryzen 3 machine with this excellent thermal design. :- )

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

By "they" I mean you.

OK, let's wait until 0.4...
    I was talking about a tagged upstream dav1d release that has the patch in place, AFAIK they hadn't tagged a release yet with that patch, which I try to stick to tagged versions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X