Microsoft's Component Firmware Update Is Their Latest Short-Sighted Spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Component Firmware Update Is Their Latest Short-Sighted Spec

Phoronix: Microsoft's Component Firmware Update Is Their Latest Short-Sighted Spec

Microsoft's newest specification is the "Component Firmware Update" that they envision as a standard for OEMs/IHVs to be able to handle device firmware/microcode updating in a robust and secure manner. While nice in theory, the actual implementation has a number of issues that complicate the process and could quickly evolve into another troubling specification from Microsoft in the hardware space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some parts of Microsoft still seem to be in that "throw it over the fence once we consider it done" attitude.

Comment

so... if it is an open spec... surely you could put in a PR with "just use fwupd"

Comment

I generally considered Microsoft did stupid things all year round, but looks like it intensifies in August: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lice...edicated-cloud

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
          ...CFU updates happening in the background without any user interaction.
          I thought Microsoft's Enterprise customers were deluding themselves that they paid for the version of Windows that didn't violate their security by 'updating' things in the background without their knowledge or permission. Are they going to accept this?

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I thought Microsoft's Enterprise customers were deluding themselves that they paid for the version of Windows that didn't violate their security by 'updating' things in the background without their knowledge or permission. Are they going to accept this?
            The same way they've learned to accept paying exorbitantly for the privilege of somewhat reduced surveillance by Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
              so... if it is an open spec... surely you could put in a PR with "just use fwupd"
              does fwupd work on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                I am sure he would be open to PR's and/or collab

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  Could fwupd work on Windows, you mean. We are talking about a protocol.

Comment

"Microsoft loves OpenSource", doesn't it?
                    A reason to stop the hype about their recent ridiculous opensource moves... The fight is on the hardware. They can release XEYES on Windows, who cares?

I am not interested to run anything on Windows, EVER, i want the end of windows "only" devices with scrambled firmwares, protocols.

Comment

Working...
                    X