Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CompuLab Turns An 8-Core/16-Thread Xeon, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 Into Fan-Less Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompuLab Turns An 8-Core/16-Thread Xeon, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 Into Fan-Less Computer

Phoronix: CompuLab Turns An 8-Core/16-Thread Xeon, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 Into Fan-Less Computer

Three years ago we checked out the CompuLab Airtop as a high-performance fanless PC. Back then it was exciting to passively cool an Intel Core i7 5775C, 16GB of RAM, SATA 3.0 SSD, and a GeForce GTX 950 graphics card. But now in 2019 thanks to the continued design improvements by CompuLab and ever advancing tech, their newly-launched CompuLab 3 can accommodate an eight-core / sixteen-thread Xeon CPU, 64GB of RAM, NVMe SSD storage, and a NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 graphics card without any fans!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty impressive results for a decent specced system, especially considering it isn't that large.

Comment

Most impressive is how they cool it down, sounds like good to have for winter season

Comment

It definitely looks like a very interesting system. I just wish they at least included an AMD option (CPU and/or GPU).

Comment

So someone grabs it by the top and "OucH! I burned my hand!!"

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
            It definitely looks like a very interesting system. I just wish they at least included an AMD option (CPU and/or GPU).
            They are expected to include an AMD GPU option for the Mintbox 3 at least. They asked me if they should and I certainly endorsed it, a Polaris card they were looking at.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is so funny ... since on the other side server vendors are whining that they cannot cool 180W+ cpus with fans only and that we should move to water cooling ... Amateurs!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They are expected to include an AMD GPU option for the Mintbox 3 at least. They asked me if they should and I certainly endorsed it, a Polaris card they were looking at.
                Nice to hear. But maybe with Ryzen 3 (without these much mitigation needed)...

Comment

Looks like a very nice machine. I would probably buy one if it had an active cooling system.
                  I'm a firm believer in the immutable laws of physics, and the main one which concerns me is that which states that chemical (and hence, metallurgical) reactions double for every 10° C rise in temperature. My Lenovo T430 perks along at 37° C. Say it gets up to 50° under heavy load. That means that it (the silicon; a metal) has approximately an eight-times (2³) longer life than the silicon in a machine which runs at 80° C under heavy load.
                  Simple--and unavoidable--physics, folks.

It would be an extremely attractive option were CompuLab to offer this machine with active cooling. It would also be an extremely informative experiment were someone to do whatever needed to be done to simulate active cooling with an existing machine, and THEN measure temps.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
                    I really miss an updated small factor fanless PC (fitlet3 ?), with AMD APU from CompuLab...

Comment

Working...
                    X