Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUXEDO Computers Is The Latest Linux PC Vendor Eyeing Coreboot

Phoronix: TUXEDO Computers Is The Latest Linux PC Vendor Eyeing Coreboot

With Linux PC vendors System76 and Purism among those embracing Coreboot for freeing more of the system and appealing to open-source enthusiasts, Linux PC vendor TUXEDO from Germany is also eyeing a similar move...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was considering to buy EliteBook 840 G5 as my next laptop. However, this post has made me change my mind. Didn't know about tuxedo before.

Comment

I think they are a subdivision of Schenker Notebooks group. Sadly I have yet to see some AMD based devices on their list (maybe Tuxedo had a few desktop boxes, but I build those for myself. Laptops would be awesome.). Anyway that seems like a very good move.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I wonder when mainstream manufacturers will pick up coreboot as their preferred firmware. It should cut on royalty costs, allow to secure the mobo down, and provide features other firmware can't, as well as improved boot times.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          I wonder when mainstream manufacturers will pick up coreboot as their preferred firmware. It should cut on royalty costs, allow to secure the mobo down, and provide features other firmware can't, as well as improved boot times.
          Not until there is a corporate entity they can buy CoreBoot technical support from.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Not until there is a corporate entity they can buy CoreBoot technical support from.
            First one to market could be that entity as well. Double opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Do laptop brands buy support for their bios currently, or to the develop it?

If they develop their own bios, then base it on coreboot, fixate to some coreboot version, and thoroughly test device. From time to time, upgrade coreboot version, and do testing. Or better, instead of custom modifications on top of coreboot, they can upstream their changes.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                I was considering to buy EliteBook 840 G5 as my next laptop. However, this post has made me change my mind. Didn't know about tuxedo before.
                There's also StarLabs Systems; they are the only Linux OEM to offer an 11-inch notebook with Gemini Lake and 8GB memory (soldered, unfortunately) while still using standard M.2 2280 SSDs. For comparison, all of the < 13" Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake laptops from China have less than 4GB memory and use the very uncommon M.2 2240 SSD length.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

There's also StarLabs Systems; they are the only Linux OEM to offer an 11-inch notebook with Gemini Lake and 8GB memory (soldered, unfortunately) while still using standard M.2 2280 SSDs. For comparison, all of the < 13" Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake laptops from China have less than 4GB memory and use the very uncommon M.2 2240 SSD length.
                  The Mk2 has USB-C for charging also which is very nice.
                  Unfortunately the Mk2 lost the detatchable battery though which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                    Do laptop brands buy support for their bios currently, or to the develop it?
                    Everyone buys a SDK and just adapt it to their device.

American Megatrends (or AMI), Insyde and Phoenix are the ones I know about

see the Intel's page https://firmware.intel.com/find-solutions

Comment

Working...
                    X