There's A Professional Grade Digital Cinema Camera Powered By Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's A Professional Grade Digital Cinema Camera Powered By Linux

Phoronix: There's A Professional Grade Digital Cinema Camera Powered By Linux

Digital camera startup Octopus Cinema has been designing the "OCTOPUSCAMERA" as a digital cinema camera that's professional grade yet is an open platform with removable/upgradeable parts and this camera platform itself is running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before anti-HEVC people come up... (no, I am not defending HEVC)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 24 June 2019, 07:05 PM. Reason: it is not...

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      It's a rather ambitious device and they ai, to be shipping in 2020
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Recording is hardware accelerating using Intel's VA-API up to 10-bit HEVC.

Comment

This is actually very impressive. I'm curious how much it costs, and if it will be compatible with any existing lenses on the market.

Comment

The NTFS writing to SSDs and CF cards is a bit odd. Why not use a native FS? Or exfat, for compatibility with Windows and Mac folks? Hope they include an option to use native Linux FS’.

Comment

This only has 12 stops of dynamic range which is poor. Also the sample footage on their site is only in black and white, no colour video to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
              The NTFS writing to SSDs and CF cards is a bit odd. Why not use a native FS?
              They want to minimize studios' costs of moving their cards/disks to another filesystems.

Or exfat, for compatibility with Windows and Mac folks?
              I agree. exFAT is lacking under Linux.

Hope they include an option to use native Linux FS’.
              It is very likely they'll permit doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                Also the sample footage on their site is only in black and white, no colour video to watch.
                It was filmed with a prototype.

Comment

Would the camera system cost over $2,000? Being 5K, that's what I'm thinking...

And I've been asking the same thing about file systems other than NTFS. Well, it does make sense for keeping costs low for big movie studios...

But hey, if the camera runs Linux, maybe that's something I could pay for if I have deep pockets...

And no, I'm not trolling about the price. I'm trying to be realistic here.

Comment

The NTFS writing to SSDs and CF cards is a bit odd. Why not use a native FS? Or exfat, for compatibility with Windows and Mac folks? Hope they include an option to use native Linux FS’.
                    That does seem odd!

Comment

Working...
                    X