Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Is Moving Closer To Saying Goodbye To A Lot Of ISDN Network Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
    <---------- Works in telecoms

ISDN is still widely used but almost all instances now are for voice systems. You'll very rarely see true data usage on ISDN anymore.
    I can vouch for the same in Africa. It makes sense to invest and maintain newer technology, but sometimes corrupt companies needs "persuasion" to make basic logical decisions.

Off topic: I finally have fibre paying ~82 USD/m for 10mbps. It's rough on my budget, but at least does not disconnect all the time. Everything else had issues no matter how much or how little I payed.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

I had a ZyXEL ISDN modem, it could bundle two lines into a 128Kbps connection. But best of all; connecting took 1-2 seconds on ISDN, it was amazing.
      At least in the US you needed to use DOVBS to avoid a per-minute charge, and not all ISPs had equipment that supported it. But assuming you had the option, 112kb/s.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMorden View Post

At least in the US you needed to use DOVBS to avoid a per-minute charge, and not all ISPs had equipment that supported it. But assuming you had the option, 112kb/s.

Ah lucky Americans, this was Denmark and were always charged per minute for both lines. Which is why I didn't always bundle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
          Off topic: I finally have fibre paying ~82 USD/m for 10mbps.
          What a ripoff. Damn.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            ISDN's popularity came before Linux was ready for it. By the time it was well established, Linux's support was probably too late, while existing setups were already stable enough to get the job done (so, not much point in switching). Just my guess anyway, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sure anyone who still cares about it might as well just use an older kernel. I'm sure they're not going to miss out on anything.
            Its not safe to use older kernels because of unpatched vulnerabilities that would be fixed later on.

Comment

When we set up our T1 for our RAS pool, we discovered that a dial up user could use the ISDN A channel for (untimed) dial up at the full 56k because there was no analog conversion required.

When Zoom and others came out with those dual port 56K modems you could use the other channel and bond 2 dial up channels and get full 112k, all untimed and therefore not billable.

Most of those corporate RAS pools that supported remote ISDN connectivity were decommissioned and torn out back 2005.

The last time I even worked ISDN was for a Dialogic card being moved 3 years ago and the software had it's own driver stack.

Comment

ISDN is for long years obsoleted, successed by DSL and other connection technologies. I do not wonder linux developers are going to send it to the digital heaven.

Comment

Working...
                X