No announcement yet.

Raptor's Blackbird Arrives As The Most Open-Source Yet Fast Desktop System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reposting the same content as post#39 but without the code tag thingy. Read whichever is less annoying to you. *sigh* starshipeleven typed: > Is your keyboard broken or is vBullettin total shit on mobile? > > That's a wall of text. My keyboard is working fine, and this is not mobile. The text looked fine when posted. The website is broken. :-( Clicking the preview button did nothing. :-( Many of the images do not display. :-( No longer honors http requests but insists on ramming https down the user's throat whether they want it or not. (https breaks a lot of stuff. This is very bad) :-( The website's spelling checker thinks the name of the site is misspelled. :-) I looked for a "test" forum but couldn't find one. :-( Clicking on "new topic" in "Site Discussion" forum does nothing (no packets sent). :-( At least some (maybe all?) of the links under "help" do not work. :-( IIRC the website used to work fairly well once upon a time. >> Phoronix used to have fairly good hardware reviews but I haven't seen one >> for awhile. > > He is running on a shoestring budget, and most vendors aren't sending him > free hardware. For consumer hardware, that is. He got some pretty expensive > Tyan mobo + CPUs and stuff, but that's a server. I don't expect reviews of every piece of hardware on the market, but reviews of the hardware that is on site would be good. The Raptor Talos II and Blackbird spring to mind. >> So, Raptor, if you used the BCM5719, why not wire up all 4 ports? > > Limited space I guess. The more stuff you cram in, the harder it becomes > to design the board. The harder it is to design the board, the higher > the price. It's already high enough as-is. 2 more RJ-45 connectors and a few more small "glue" parts aren't going to use up much physical space or add much economic cost to the BOM. It's not all that many traces, either. Once you've figured out the 1st port, (and Broadcom probably provides a reference design) the other 3 are basically cut&paste. I have a PCIe BCM5720 card (works great, no problems whatsoever, unlike the RealTek 8111 chips which drop packets, or the USB-to-Ethernet chips which corrupt data, even with TCP), IIRC the BCM5719 cards had *much* larger heatsinks (more than 2x) for some reason, and were a *lot* more expensive (more than 2x). I don't know what the wholesale prices of the chips are, but surely the 4 port chip costs more than the 2 port chip. I do not understand how using a more expensive chip and throwing away half the ports keeps costs down? I'd be happy with either the BCM5720 or BCM5719 as long as all the ports are available. But using a BCM5719 and only wiring up half the ports makes me worry why. It seems obviously wrong. I'm wanting to upgrade to 10G Ethernet, but the chips are still expensive, so I can see leaving it off the mainboard to keep costs down. But there needs to be an expansion slot to allow adding it if the customer wants to. Both chips use PCIe 2.0, 5720 1 lane, 5719 4 lanes. So 5720 has twice the PCIe bandwidth it needs and the 5719 has four times the PCIe it needs. I wonder why the chips require so much bandwidth? Have I missed something? If the Raptor boards give the 5719 four PCIe 4.0 lanes, as seems likely, it has 16 times the PCIe bandwidth it needs. If they had used the 5720, there would be 3 lanes freed up, enough for 1 x2 slot + 1 x1 slot, or 3 x1 slots. 2 or 3 more slots would be extremely useful. > Calling "serious" the other two OSes just identifies your allegiance. What alleged allegiance would that be? > They have an install base comparable to Hurd, or other BSDs. So you think "serious" = large number of machines running it? By that standard one might assume you run microshit malware on a buggy cpu, aka "wintel". I think serious means things like 1) Do not damage the hardware 2) Do not lose my data 3) Keep the bad guys from doing bad things > If you want more IO, buy the bigger boards for 2k or something. I don't need 22 billion cpus or whatever the actual number is, or Terabytes of RAM. 2 CPUs should be plenty, and the minimum available with Blackbird is twice that. (Actually, 1 should be enough, but certain software writers don't seem to understand how to write for a uniprocessor, which results in crappy software that can cause data loss. *grumble* ) See the chart. The Talos II does have 3 more slots, but has no sata ports at all, no audio, and vga rather than hdmi, so the slots get filled with those things. I can plug in a Marvell SATA controller instead of having it on the mainboard, but I can't find a card (or *any* product at all) with the 88SE1475 chip (16 ports!), it doesn't get me any more ports. > Please explain what I/O you want. Decent video, for X11, including tv/movie. Hoping to find a decent monitor with 4K (8K would be better) and freesync (3:2 pulldown sucks. and different things were recorded at different framerates) More than 24 bit color depth would be good. No kiddie gaming. Audio, for tv/movie. 2 channels is enough, but needs to be good quality. firewire (400 is enough) TI seems to be the least problematic chip. NEC works, but not as well as TI. VIA doesn't work. A PCIe x1 slot will do. RS-232 with large FIFOs. more than 2 ports. The 2 Broadcom Ethernets ports are fine, but want a slot to allow adding a 10G card. SATA ports and lots of them. My current "big" machine has 24 SATA ports and needs more, but the slots are all full. USB (Has problems but we're stuck with it. At least it allows hot plug/unplug of keyboard without damage.) Spare slots for future use. (and whatever I've forgotten about) I have more comments, but they will have to wait for part 2.

Comment

Man, either use tags or don't post. Only thing worse would be "going all medieval" - if you had removed spacing between words too.

I did read 2 lines, got head ache and gave up. Waste of effort on your part

Comment

Posting with JS off has been broken like that, newlines missing, since the upgrade to vbulletin 5. Hence why I rarely post here anymore, and when I do it's one or two lines.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Posting with JS off has been broken like that, newlines missing, since the upgrade to vbulletin 5. Hence why I rarely post here anymore, and when I do it's one or two lines.
          https://addons.mozilla.org/et/firefox/addon/noscript/

Use it on Firefox, leave it globally JS forbidden, enabled for certain handpicked sites/domains. Problem solved.

Comment

Uh, I have JS globally enabled and disable it for sites where it makes the experience worse. It's not even ads, apparently vbulletin JS is bad, making the pages load slower and the experience less snappy.

Comment

aht0> use tags or don't post See post #39, the "code" tag made it worse instead of better. The website is broken. :-( curaga> Posting with JS off has been broken like that, newlines missing, curaga> since the upgrade to vbulletin 5. It used it work, now it is broken. I think you mean DOWNgrade. :-( "Newer" and "better" are different words with different meanings. curaga> vbulletin JS is bad, making the pages load slower ALL javaSPYWARE is bad. It makes pages load slower, eats lots of cpu, and does absolutely nothing useful, unless you are a criminal using it to steal computing resources to mine math money or steal info using spectre. This website seems to be somewhat FLOSS friendly, although it puts down projects that are not able to quickly produce finished toys. The site is said to have a shoestring budget, but has no sympathy for projects that cannot raise the millions of dollars needed to make a mask for a chip. I see lots of complaints about AMD's spy CPU with closed source firmware. The main selling point of the Talos/Blackbird is that the firmware is FLOSS, allowing the owner of a computer to actually control it. And yet this same website expects its users to allow a web browser to download and execute unseen javascheist? I see lots of complaints about how much spectre mitigations slow a machine down. News flash: you only need the spectre mitigations if you allow untrusted people to execute code on your machine. If you allow a web browser to download and execute javaSPECTRE, that is exactly what you are doing. Even if you trust the owner of a website, the code downloaded might have been written by criminals or other bad guys (or idiots). JavaSPECTRE is a gigantic security hole, and it needs to go away.

Comment

Working...
              X