Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FSF Has Certified A USB To Parallel Printer Cable For Respecting Your Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually the RYF certification process explicitly forbids RYF'ing a product that also advertises "Works with Mac" or "Works with Windows", so generally, most any manufacturer hoping to sell a lot of hardware would avoid RYF from the start.
    Where's my freedom to use the cable under Windows?

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied

Actually the RYF certification process explicitly forbids RYF'ing a product that also advertises "Works with Mac" or "Works with Windows", so generally, most any manufacturer hoping to sell a lot of hardware would avoid RYF from the start.
    You said "hoping to sell a lot of hardware", I did not. I said if "there is a customer with a need". Two very different situations.

I agree - anyone looking to get rich in the present culture would explicitly sell to Mac and Windows users, but the distributor selling these items, ThinkPenguin, does not do that. They've been getting stuff certified by FSF for a long time, and I'll bet they know the needs of their customer base pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Bsdisbetter
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

No manufacturer or distributor is going to bother to go through the certification process unless there is a customer with a need. So, what is silly to you is important to someone else. I find it amusing that anyone would ever complain about free and open hardware.
    I find it funny people need it to be 'certified' by some foundation...

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

No manufacturer or distributor is going to bother to go through the certification process unless there is a customer with a need. So, what is silly to you is important to someone else. I find it amusing that anyone would ever complain about free and open hardware.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post

This is the latter.

Leave a comment:

• dos1
    replied
    Can this parallel port cable actually address individual pins or does it just show up in the system as USB printer? If it's the former, then it's actually way more useful than how you paint it.

Leave a comment:

• Bsdisbetter
    replied

They do both good and silly things.
    This is the latter.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by eltomito View Post
    Why do I get the impression that Michael Larabel finds the FSF ridiculous?
    They do both good and silly things.

Leave a comment:

• flashmozzg
    replied
    Does it use the free HW? Did they sample the chips? Using a free software is not enough to guarantee it's not phoning to Beijing.

Leave a comment:

• eltomito
    replied
    Why do I get the impression that Michael Larabel finds the FSF ridiculous?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X