Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FSF Has Certified A USB To Parallel Printer Cable For Respecting Your Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devuanxfce
    replied
    thanks FSF i was scared that my printer cable had ibm red hat backdoor in it.

Leave a comment:

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    "Now Rockstar, your next release of Grand Theft Auto must include the complete source code and all development assets. Nooo, nobody would use that to pirate the game or make cheats for online multiplayer. Of course not."
    Well, since not releasing it doesn't stop it either, your point is kind of moot.
    I think that only the freedom of the source code would be an issue. The assets (textures, sounds and whatnots), as long as they're not executable, might be exempt of that requirement, while the product still RYF, because you could always make your own. Anyway, that's my take on it. (And of those reimplementing various game engines -- openmw etc..)

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Zajec View Post
    How do we know that microcode pre-installed on the Atheros AR9280 or Atheros AR9281 doesn't do anything nasty and "Respect Your Freedom"?
    And this, kids, is why FSF certification, and their "firmware is ok if it is stored on the device itself" attitude is retarded.

Leave a comment:

• Zajec
    replied
    How do we know that microcode pre-installed on the Atheros AR9280 or Atheros AR9281 doesn't do anything nasty and "Respect Your Freedom"?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
    Hah! The FSF is quite an amusing group. They mean well, I think. But they live outside of reality. I could just imagine what a FSF utopia would look like:

"Now Rockstar, your next release of Grand Theft Auto must include the complete source code and all development assets. Nooo, nobody would use that to pirate the game or make cheats for online multiplayer. Of course not."
    Are you perhaps assuming that this didn't happen already with a fully closed source game?

Who is the one out of touch with reality?

Leave a comment:

• Bsdisbetter
    replied
    Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post
    I for one will be discarding my current proprietary parallel-to-USB 1.1 cable (which I have long suspected of not respecting me at all) in favour of this certifiably freedom-respecting cable

I bet you'll be dead and in the ground before they certify an HDMI cable...

I can only think of very old scanners and printers using parallel in the PC/Apple world and that was about 20 years ago, before USB had any foothold. I know Apple's System 7.6 was awesome but seriously you've got to at least upgrade to OS9, it had USB support...
    Last edited by Bsdisbetter; 17 May 2019, 01:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• swagg_boi
    replied
    I for one will be discarding my current proprietary parallel-to-USB 1.1 cable (which I have long suspected of not respecting me at all) in favour of this certifiably freedom-respecting cable

Leave a comment:

• Chugworth
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually the RYF certification process explicitly forbids RYF'ing a product that also advertises "Works with Mac" or "Works with Windows", so generally, most any manufacturer hoping to sell a lot of hardware would avoid RYF from the start.
    Hah! The FSF is quite an amusing group. They mean well, I think. But they live outside of reality. I could just imagine what a FSF utopia would look like:

Leave a comment:

• Jaxad0127
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Where's my freedom to use the cable under Windows?
    There is no restriction on that, and product documentation can specify compatibility with them. The RYF certification doesn't want to endorse those non free OSes or imply you need to use them to use the product, hence the banning of emblems/badges for Windows, OSX, etc.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Where's my freedom to use the cable under Windows?
    "Compatible With MS Windows XP, Vista, and 7" - https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-lin...e-tpe-usbparal

Leave a comment:

Working...
X